Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Whilst Belgium is not a wine country, it is obviously available, as are various liqueurs - although I can't say I'm familiar with any Belgian produced ones.
I know you say you don't drink beer - is it because of the taste? I only ask because there are a number of fruit beers in Belgium (cherry, raspberry, strawberry, blackcurrant, peach + others - even chocolate!) which are poular with people who don't normally drink beer - like my wife :) so that may give you an option to try something different.
Belgian beers also taste nothing like beers available in your local offy or Tesco. I'd suggest you try Hoegaarden which is a 'white' beer, trappist or St. bernadus which comes in 3 different strengths. Yes I have drunk the 12. kwak is brill but if you can get the duck noise then you're better than me. I only got the 'kwak' once.
Thanks for replies. I am reading them after returning from Bruges. We went to a brewery so I did try their beer but did not like it at all. I wish I had tried one of the fruit beers you mention.
I like sweet drinks and found a very nice sweet wine in one restaurant.
I also found out about two local drinks Elixar a sweet herb/aniseed liquor
(similar to Hierbas in Ibiza and Majorca) and a fruit based spirit called Genievre (similar to Schnapps)
My husband did enjoy the beers though. All drinks were expensive compared to Spain where we usually go for holidays.
Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.