Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Welcome back BBD, try not make it too positive as I`ve only got 9 more sleeps to go and I`ll need something to contemplate moaning about :rofl
I found it exactly the same this year too! Glad you had a great time!
I have a few mins so,

We flew out of Heathrow with Kingfisher having travelled from MCR by train with no problems. The Kingfisher flights where great LHR to Mumbai with 2 hour gap then onto Goa. Kingfisher staff everywhere and nothing to much of a problem this is now our option of choice for all future trips.

We are lucky enough to have my in laws staying in Goa for 6 months so we stayed in new apts next to them inthe village of Tembwaddo about a mile from Morjim (I'll mention little Moscow later) and 5 mins from beach. The first floor rooms where excellent and we spent many anevening on the balcony after a hard days sunbathing. Plenty of local shops and shacks nearby the best being Souza shack and lower down Hard Rock. Mapusa is 20 mins in a taxi and the market is brilliant and very very cheap.

Like always we planned to visit various people and places but somehow never got around to it as we soon got into the Goa way. We found the people, taxis, and shack lads as helpful as ever although they do miss the brits very much as most russians have no personality or class (their words not mine) and don't pay their bills.
Morjim beach is I think better than ever, very quiet but the breeze is a godsend as our first day 18th Feb they had the hottest day since 1971 with a temp of 41c phew. Last Sunday I sat having my weekly fry up in Souza's watching around 25 dolphins chase the fish just off the beach followed by the eagles trying to steal the fresh catch from local fishermen, it was truly magical and that couple of hours will stay in my memory forever. (there was a russian downside however see later).

We ate in local places such as Golden Eagle, Spice Hut, La Plage and a new one called Sabbaha on the road to Ashwem. I treated Mrs BBD to a couple of nights at Fiesta in the Gute which was excellent if a bit pricey (the martini cocktails are the best Ive ever had).

We took £500 spends and came home with change so in my opinion prices are about the same if you stay away from the main areas.

Little Moscow - Morjim
This village has wonderful memories for all my family as we have spent many holidays in and around it, however the Russian Rubel now rules and they have paid over the top prices for many bars and bits of land, cant blame the locals if they are getting 25-30 times what the actual price is for things. But its as if they have sucked all the soul out of the place, It was a bit unnerving during the daytime to walk along the street and see nobody apart from a couple of security guards who where paid to keep certain people out of the bars !!. Camp 69 which was the hub of everything in the village when Bosco was there is now a very sad place to look at and I expect it to be closed next season.

Russians.
Now before I get battered, I am not racist nor am I a prude or one to try and force my opinions on anyone, live and let live I say. But I really could write a book on the majority of Russians aged 18-30. which would probably result in a guy following me into my local sushi bar with an umbrella if you know what I mean.
We did meat a few families who where great, and agreed with my observations of the groups mentioned above. A couple of quick examples :-
Morjim beach is a protected beach and does not allow motorbikes or Nudity, however about a week into our holiday we had a group of russians purporting to be on a Yoga Holiday, the group was made up of 10 women aged 20-40 and 3 men (can you see where I'm going with this). They had a morning class on the beach around 9am which was the usual stretching and humming, but we noticed the group getting, ahem, closer as the days went on. After my wonderful Sunday morning mentioned earlier they appeared on the beach and after the usual stretching and humming they all stripped off naked and decided to play various games.
At this point BBD had had enough as the locals where clearly upset as where most of the other sunbathers, so I had a meeting of minds with the leader who after a few choice words left with his tail (no pun intended) between his legs. They all clearly saw no harm in what they had done and had no respect for the local people who had just left church.

I was in a local shop, used by local people and kids on there way home from school last Weds when 3 young russian girls walked in wearing only a gstring, pushed past all the kids and in full view of them all to buy water. Again in my opinion this showed no respect for the people and even more worrying the kids thought I was russian to although I had clothes on.

One day I will write the book as there are many many more examples.

Anyway hope I haven't bored anyone, my bit of Goa is as wonderful as ever apart from our russian friends, and I cant wait to go back. My advice is if you stay in the gute you will get problems if not careful so venture out. I will be glad to pm anyone if they want details etc. I do have an angle on the tragic murder of the teenage girl last year but for legal reasons I'm better keeping it to myself safe to say don't let that put you off trying new parts of this wonderful country.
Hi Bigbadbdad
found your report informative and factual thanks... glad you had a great time
chilly :)
This is probably a stupid question, as you spent two weeks in Morjim, but did you get up to Bosco's new place and was he busy?

Also you have no fear of racist accusations, the obnoxious, ill mannered, loud, inconsiderate, over-paying, offensive Russians are a Nation not a Race!
The russians scare me out there.. They really dont have a clue. I could also add many chapters to your book.
Yes Jonny spent many nights woth Bosco as his shack was right next to my in laws house, he is still the best cook in North Goa but has lost interest since he was shafted by the owners of Camp 69 and the russians.
He is unsure about next season as the land he is on now has been sold for 10 times what it is actually worth. He did mention he may open up in Ashwem next year but knowing him as I do I think he will stay in Bicholim.

But still a top man and the reason we nearly missed our plane home on Weds. !!
johnny five wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, as you spent two weeks in Morjim, but did you get up to Bosco's new place and was he busy?

Also you have no fear of racist accusations, the obnoxious, ill mannered, loud, inconsiderate, over-paying, offensive Russians are a Nation not a Race!

Yes and also one of the most corrupt Nations on this planet-this is probably why they are quite at home in Goa :)
Quite agree BBD, but we have to remember that his seasonal beachside venture is also his escape from the family in Bicholim. I don't know if you have been there but they own serious property as well as a couple of businesses. Last season end he was saying that was it, and even earlier in the monsoon, whenever we saw him he was not coming back. Then in late August it was all back on.......and the rest you know!
I have tried to convince him to do something in Siolim where we live. It is officially the largest "village" in Goa, hundreds of foreigners live here, and thousands pass through every day in the season. There are dozens of empty business units on the main road and absolutely 0 restaurants in the whole area worth even looking at. And most important, he would still have his bolt-hole!
I think he has finally had enough, his wife hasn't been to good recently and his mum who owns the houses you mention wants him closer. Also the bakery at the side of his house will be up for rent soon as the current occupants are moving to their own place.

I think Siolim is a bit to Goan for him, and monkey valley is way to hot !, and I think he likes the beachside too much. We did offer him a solution nearby last week but he would have to build a few bridges first with an old adversory but he is a very stubborn man as we all know.

Bosco-Sinatra, you never know when its over.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.