Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Welcome to HT! :wave

You may find the Blanes resort reports HERE useful :wink:

If anyone can assist by posting a review for the S'abanell Central Park, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
I don't know the hotel but I have had a couple of great holidays in Blanes.

It is not your typical Costa resort. Compared to Lloret or Tossa it is quieter and more cosmopolitan. Lots of Dutch, Germans, Poles, Czechs and French in the mix with the Brits and Spanish.

S'Abanell end of the resort has most of the hotels and campsites. Plenty of bars from quiet ones to ones with big TV screens showing non stop footy (if that's your sort of thing). Burger outlets if you want them or family restaurants. There is also a small funfair for the kiddies.

Big long beach but a bit gritty. Not good for sandcastles but a short hop on the water taxis takes you to sandier ones. You can also get to the noisier resorts by boat as well.

The harbour (30 min walk) end is the older part of the town. More Spanish with lots of nice places to eat.

If you are self catering then there are plenty of food shops.

Blanes Station (about 20 min walk from S'Abanell) has regular trains to Barcelona and all resorts inbetween.

You will enjoy it I'm sure.
Thanks for your reply, would you recommend Blanes over Tossa de Mar?
I can't really say as I have never stayed at Tossa. We did do a day visit there but it was very crowded. You could not see the sand for peaople lying on it. As a family we have tended to avoid noisy resorts in high season so would not have considered Tossa in the first place. We also prefer places where there is a mixture of nationalities rather than one dominated by a single one (especially if it is Brits).
we are going with 2 young kids, 1 yr old and 2 yr old, do you know anything about the transfers from girona airport or is it best to hire a car? is portaventura worth a visit ?
Portaventura is about 2 hours away in a car. Motorway all the way but some strange paying sections where the distance between stations is less than 2km and the charge just a few cents! Hardly worth collecting it. Our youngest was wearing his Barcelona footy shirt and on some pay stations the guy taking the money waved us through for free!

On a coach it takes a bit longer but they run regular trips from the resort. They pick up by the burger joint at the end of the main street.

Barcelona is worth a visit but even I would not risk driving! It is hell on wheels there. Take the train or book an excursion.

Gerona is a pretty town with nice churches, narrow streets and city walls.

If you want to buy some pots then you must go to Bispal. 2000 pot shops in one town! I kid not.

Lots of other nice resorts along the coast that are worth visiting.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.