Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
we only have one report from 2006.. sorry

yasus
wizard
Gouves is really two places! Old Gouves which is to the mountain side of the Heraklion-Ag Nik highway, which is about a mile inland and consists of what looks like a very sleepy village, but is well aware of its tourist potential, with some very traditional looking restaurants and owners who call out to you to dine at their restaurant. They're not bad, in fact I had a good meal at one a couple of years ago, but probably most of the guests are non-Cretans!

To the sea side of the coast road, is Gouves, where your hotel (and all the others) are. Gouves consists of several roads running parallel to the highway, and turning across traffic can be a bit heartstopping and take some time, so ignore anyone who thinks that they know better than you!!!

Most of the restaurants, souvenir shops and bars are on a stretch of road within 400 yards of the beach. You can get a very good English breakfast - which is a treat for me because I live in France!!- and there are a wide selection of restaurants, including Chinese and Italian (pizza and pasta) as well as Greek dishes. Several bars offer big screens for films and sports events.

It depends what you want from a holiday - the beach is OK - a bit gritty and you should make sure that there is a lifeguard on duty. For serious shopping and night clubs you would need to go to Heraklion or the Hernosissos/Malia/Stalis conurbation. Gouves has visitors from all over Europe - and Russia, so don't expect it to be 'too' British with bingo! You can hire cars in Gouves, and do your own thing! Outside Gouves, it's pretty much all countryside with small holdings with cockerels and goats etc! It suited me fine, because I like having a nice base and travelling a lot.
Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

p.s What is the weather like in crete around the end of september?
I would have thought good, with still reasonable sea temperatures, but please don't sue me if you get a drop of rain!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.