Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Sounds great Dawn!

I'm sure I've seen Borneo mentioned on the forums in the past so try the Search facility to see what it comes up with.

luci :wave
Hi Puddleduck

My first tip is to book in to see the orangutans as soon as you arrive at Rasa Ria, because they only allow a limited amount of visitors for each session and once you've been, you'll probably want to go again before you leave! Your itinerary makes me feel exhausted just reading it, so I hate to add any more ideas, but if you aren't already doing one and get chance, do consider a river boat trip. We've done two in Borneo - the first in the Klias wetalnds near KK and the second on the Menanggol River near Sandakan and both were major highlights of our holidays. The amount and variety of wildlife along the rivers is amazing - especially if you have a good guide to point it all out to you.

As for the mozzies, my best tip is don't be tempted to wear shorts or short sleeved T-shirts in the jungle, even if it is steaming! I wore long, loose linen pants and a very thin, but long-sleeved shirt, which both looked extremely disreputable after a couple of days, but the wildlife didn't seem to mind and I was glad I had when I saw other people's arms and legs covered in bites.

We had a brilliant time on our trip this April and Langkawi was a very welcome veg-out after our adventures!

Elaine
Thanks Elaine.

We've got a boat trip as part of time in Batang Ai and a canopy tree top walk in Poring hot springs - they were on our (very long) must do list.

Oh yes 2 long sleeved shirts are already on my holiday shopping list. Like you say, I don't care how hot it is - I have to keep covered up, those damn mossies just love me!! There's a few days to catch some rays in Langkawi anyway.
Incidentally what repellant did you use? I tried that mossie milk that lots of folks recommend for the first time in Europe in 2009 and it was fine but not so good in Cuba this year as I still got bitten.
I used Tropical Strength Jungle Formula and it seemed to work well. It also very efficiently removed the fake tan that I'd been gradually building up for 2 weeks prior to the holiday, which wasn't so good, but hey-ho :duh

Elaine
Fab, thanks
* Note to self, if using Jungle Formula - remember to keep pale and interesting ;)
Mozzies used to love me until i found vit B1. :)
I start taking vit B1 4 weeks before i go away and continue whilst away - and it keeps the mozzies away.
I went to Borneo Rasa Ria last year - not a single bite.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.