DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
You might be better off in the DIY thread. At the top of it there are a couple of stickys that Briar has put in giving advice on DIY holidays. Sorry I can't be of more help, but it's something to read until others reply. :)
I believe Sol Melia have their own hotel accommodation website - try using this to book direct - I think it is even in English!
Transferred to DIY from General Holiday Enquiries.

David :wave
Booking direct with the hotel is not always cheaper ...surprisingly...try some of the accommodation only websites such as Broadway Travel, Medhotels, Hotels.com, Findmeaccommodation.com, Find rooms.com, etc., etc , etc

Failing these, a search on the hotel name and location should find some accommodation providers...at least you will have a comparison before booking ! :wink:
Booking with Sol Melia is no problem at all you will receive a booking voucher to print off and give your credit card details to secure the reservation, when you arrive you will be asked for that card and they will swipe it as a guarantee, however I am sure they will take your cash in euros. The advantage of booking with them is that you can cancel right up to the day of arrival with no financial loss. They say that they offer the lowest prices for their group on the internet with a guarantee but check Wintersunshine Holidays web site as they are often cheaper.
Just as the last two posters said- check the price with the hotel and then with other websites. Not sure about Majorca but some websites I use for the Far east do ask for money in advance_ I tend to stick to the ones where you pay on the last day of your stay.
I have booked twice direct with solmelia,everything has worked out as there website said.The booking conditions seem so fair and they do work hard to please you when you are there.I wouln't hesitate to book again
Booked direct with Solmelia spring 2003 - no problems at all, worked just like any other internet booking - voucher issued and presented upon arrival. I am sure they will not be too concerned as to how the balance is paid.
hi,we have used the solmelia website to book 4 nights in ibiza in june,on the booking info it says pay on arrival,which i think is great.i have been checkind other sites for the same dates and nothing is cheaper. :) so far
we too have booked direct with sol melia,you book online,or phone then book your flights,price it up early as flights vary so it can work out more expensive.
Hi all
Thankyou for all replies. Funnily enough I've only just seen them today.
I was surprised that the holidaytruth site didn't automatically notify me by email that I had responses. It has in the past.
Since I put my post on the site I been comparing prices and Solmelia do seem reasonable. It is a good thing that you don't have to pay up front and just give your credit card for guarantee. It gives you more time to save up the money!!!!
I am just deciding my actual dates and my flight. Easyjet seem the cheapest, and Thomsonfly from Coventry. Only problem are the times they fly out. I prefer morning, afternoon flights. Cov is only 9 miles away but they fly out at around 7pm. I hate checking in at hotels at night you feel tired flustered and you can't have a walkabout.
The nearest airport for me with easyjet and do the actual date for me is Luton, I have to travel form Warwickshire to get a flight at 1pm. I know it seems like I'm moaning but its just a bit of a niggle.
Thankyou again for the information.
Regards :)
Dawn
Hi All
Since my last post I have booked with sol melia over the phone. I am slightly concerned they didn't ask for credit card details. I was told booking this way there was no need. I just turn up and present the booking number they gave me and pay at the end of the holiday. I was only asked for my name and phone number is this usual? I'm a bit worried I may turn up with them not knowing about my booking. Don't fancy trawling around hotels trying to find somewhere to stay, as I am travelling on my own.
Dawn
Hi Dawn ... that is not unusual with Spanish hotels. You could send them an e-mail to confirm your telephone reservation and ask them to acknowledge it, then you would at least have something in writing which might give you peace of mind.

If writing, quote your booking reference, dates, and the rates quoted, so that all of this will be checked and reconfirmed by them.

David :wave
Hi all
i thought you would like to know I sent an email to solmelia asking them to confirm the phone booking, and they now have. So now I have printed the email with the details, so now I have witten proof of my booking and the cost.
They told me the room is "provisionally booked" until 6.00pm on my arrival day.
They did mention to me if I am to arrive after 6.pm (this is the time limit to which they reserve your room) I have to send credit card details so you are paying a nights stay if you don't turn up and don't let them know. In other words it sort of reserves the room for a late arrival. My flight is with Easyjet and I supposed to arrive at 4.30pm at Palma so I may have to supply the card details just in case the flight is delayed or my transfer takes longer.
I did email the hotel itself first, but didn't get a reply Perhaps my booking details haven't got there yet, or they've gone off the deep end because I didn't book directly with them and pay 20% up front! :roll:

How safe is it emailing credit card numbers in a ordinary email?I know I sound like a "worry guts" but I like to be cautious. Its not encrypted like these special payment sites. :|

Dawn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.