Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
We brought ours with us so didn't look to see what they stocked. But there is no problem taking deet in. If you go to one of the eco parks you will have to use recommended suntan lotion though. You can buy that over there.
You know what normally when I go on holiday no matter where, the mosies know I am coming so they usually sit at the airport waiting for me and then 'bug' me for my entire holiday and bite the death out of me.

When I went to Mexico in February, it is the first time ever that I have not been bitten AT ALL - and I did not use any bug spray.
Last year we stayed in Playa Paraiso and the mossies were out in force as it was at the end of a wet spell. I took Jungle Formula Extra and it worked a treat, i only managed a couple of nips which is good by my standards. Son in law got bitten to death until he purchased some of their mossie spray from a local shop. It was relatively cheap and worked quite well.
Well, the mozzies usually have a field day with me, so much so that when we go away I am literally like a walking chemist!

We have been to Mexico the past 2 years ... first year I was fine, last year suffered with a few bites. However, we went on a trip which include swimming in the Cenotes .... OMG I was like a magnet to the mozzies!! It was so bad I was literally doing a dance .... couldn't get away from them lol!!!

We are off to the Dom Rep next week and have stocked up on even more repellent ... last count I had 6 different ones including Avon SSS, mosquito bands, patches, Bens (which I find to be VG) a couple of others (can't remember name) after bite pen and antihistamine (sp!) tablets lol!!!

Pat
Take garlic capsules for a two to three weeks before you go. You do get odourless ones. :) These work wonders. They don't stop every bite but if you are like me- I used to have scores of bites- it cuts it down to just the rogue one or two if you are unlucky. You have to keep using the repellent as well by the way.
Funny you should mention garlic tablets Fiona ... my husband has taken them every day for about 4/5 years as the norm .... never gets a bite!! Problem with me, I'm not one for taking tablets ... start off with good intentions them forget to take them:-(

Pat
I used to notice that I got badly bitten the first week of my holidays in Greece but it stopped after that. Then I read about garlic and realised that that was why I had stopped being bitten - you eat a lot of garlic in Greece :) So before my next holiday I started taking the garlic capsules. Just take them at breakfast. I also take them on holiday. Just give them a go once and see if it works for you.
Yep, think I will persevere with them, not to mention if will save me a fortune on bug repellents lol!

Pat x
Thank you for the replies everyone! I have ordered the garlic tablets :) xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.