Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
what sort of ages are you catering for? We love cala bona but I would say its not really a family resort. Don't know whether calabonagirl would agree. We stay at the cala bona hotel and the majority of the guests seem to be adults.If you have children in your party I would opt for S'Illot.We take our grand children there, staying in the Playamar apts.They love the beach and boat trips. I suppose its all according to the ages. Good luck anyway :cheers
I think Sa Coma would be better for families. The Paraiso gets really good reviews from familes (it's closer to S'illot though). I stayed there last year with 3 friends and we couldn't believe how spacious and well equipped the apartments were. The staff were very friendly and efficient too. The good thing about Sa Coma is it's close proximity to Cala Millor, Cala Bona and S'illot. Personally, I don't like Cala Millor; I think it's a bit too built up but Cala Bona is lovely but not sure how good it is for familes (I suppose it depends on the age of the kids). The Coma Gran, Vista Badia and the Safari Apartments in Sa Coma are also very good.
Forgot to mention the Iris Apartments which are very close to the Paraiso. My friend's brother in law and his family stayed there last year and loved them. Think they have 2 bed apartments barbeques if you fancy 'a night in'.
Hello truly thanks for your replys looking to book now for next year age range are 5 years,11 years and parents will do like a drink but our holidays are really for the kids happy kids happy parents we like a family hotel with a new pool area a hotel that has alot going on for the kids and if you want to stroll out of the hotels in the evenings family friendly bars is there such a place we dont like somewhere to 18-30 but also not too quite some one said the aparthotel bonaire in cala bona which does have excellent reviews but what is the resort of cala bona like ? I will take a look at the hotel you have all said thanks for all your advice is cala millor very rowdy ?
I wouldn't say Cala Millor was rowdy; don't really know how to decribe it :) . I once holidayed there but we spent most of our time in Sa Coma and Cala Bona. Cala Bona is more 'traditional' than Sa Coma but I love Sa Coma. The beach is beautiful, there are loads of English themed bars and restaurants with tribute bands, if that's your thing, but you can also find more traditional restaurants in Sa Coma and S'illot. The Safari Apartments might be OK for you. I have stayed there a few times and there is plenty for the kids to do (mini golf, little rides on the lake and some kind of small waterpark (I think). Haven't stayed there for a few years so it might be best to look at some recent reviews. It is very German orientated though. Don't know if this would be a problem for you?
I'd say both Cala Bona and Cala Millor are very family orientated...we go most years with our 3 children and have a great time. Cala Bona is quieter than Cala Millor but Cala Millor is by no means rowdy, just busier. The far end of the resort has quite a German feel (which personally I wouldn't like to stay in but that's just me).

There's plenty of English bars/restaurants in both resorts and I've never felt unsafe walking around at night. We normally stay in s/c apartments owned by locals but last year stayed at the Moreyo in Cala Bona with our then 10 year old and 6 year old twins....they had a ball. Hotel basic but very clean and friendly. Plenty of hotels/apartments to choose from....Hotels Talayot, Alicia, Catalonia Consul & Cala Bona look family orientated and are central to both resorts.

There's a kids playpark near to Cala Bona harbour and one at the bottom of Cala Millor - trampolines, inflatables but ours prefer to take a bucket and spade to the beach and have a wander.

Can heartily recommend CHEERS in Cala Millor for lovely food, warm welcome and they have plenty of stuff to keep kids entertained (PS3, Wii etc)

First went to Cala Bona in the 70's with my parents, discovered it ahgain 10 years ago and can't keep away from the place, won't consider anywhere else for our jollies now.
Once again thank you for your help been to travel agents today got some prices self catering for bonaire and the safarie and a few more mentioned by members but the prices was sky high the travel agent give us a price for the bouganvilla in sa coma it does look fab and the price for one bedroom all inclusive was cheaper than alot of the prices for the others and they was self catering any members been to bouganvilla is it very geared for the germans is it a nice place is sa coma far in a taxi to cala bona/cala millor
once again many thanks for any advice
Hi I went to the Bouganvilla this July self catering in a one bed apart with my husband and two children. The entertainment was very good for the children, the location is not so good. The one bed apartments DON'T have air conditioning and are very basic. Overall Sa Coma was fantastic - beach great but the apartment was needing upgrading. I would go back to Sa Coma but not to these apartments oh and the shop on site was very, very expensive...hypermarket down the road much cheaper.
Hi Millymol18. Personally, I wouldn't book the Bouganvilla. It's about a 20 minute walk into Sa Coma which is a bit of a pain in the heat. Also, no air conditioning and small apartments, according to most reviews.
Have you thought about DIY? Take a look at flights, then Travel Republic, Low Cost Beds or Alpha Rooms for the Paraiso (and lots of other apartments - they had some good deals on for this year) or the Protur website for the Safari and Vista Badia.
Let us know how you get on.
Hello again
Thanks once again for your replys after your reply and reading the reviews i now will not be booking this,the quote was for a one bedroom for all incl but these apartments have not air con which with kids is not good
As for diy i know this sounds really daft but never done diy i would be scared if anything goes wrong we would have no travel rep to turn to i know you can have private insurance but what if tranfers dont turn up or the hotel/apartments are not what we wanted/booked
Just want to get the right resort and hotel how hard can it be lol
many thanks for all you help/advice
We always go DIY - book flights and then accomodation with local apartment owners. As a family of 5 we have to arrange private transfers which we do thru' Janerbus -they send you a list of questions via email, you fill them in and they confirm booking and when you land you go to Gate 7 at Arrivals and they're waiting for you and they always turn up on time for the return leg. If you're a family of 4 you can just hop into a taxi at the airport and get a local taxi to airport when you want to go home.

The different apartments we've used don't have air conditioning however if they haven't had fans I always pack a cheap desk fan (Morrisons have some in for a fiver right now) leave it unassembled and pack it in the case and just leave it with another family when we leave. There's also a couple of second hand shops in Cala Millor where we've bought fans and then sold them back to the shop before we've left - considerably cheaper than hiring them out there. I know it's not the same as air conditioning but having travelled to Cala Bona/Cala Millor for 10 years and not had the luxury of air conditioning, I can't say it's been a problem.

Our kids still rave about the Moreyo after our stay last year - it was basic but clean and I couldn't fault any staff for friendliness, we booked B&B via Travel Republic (got a cracking deal), pool area small but again clean and it was perfectly situated. Walk out of the hotel turn left, turn left again and less than a minutes walk has you at the beach in front of the Hotel Levante and now that Pago Pago Beach Bar is no longer there won't be the noise distrubance (we faced pool and didn't have any major problems).
There's the Hotel Don Jaime in Cala Millor - used to be all British but now mixed British/German......some of the entertainment is more geared towards German tourist but looks like a nice enough hotel and pool area is really nice (we stayed at privately owned apartments opposite).

If you think DIY might be the way for you have a look at:

http://www.calamillorhotels.com/ they do Talayot, Don Jaime, Millor Sun, Veronica, Romani & othes

also

http://www.fairslloydstravel.co.uk/ they do Talayot, Cala Bona, Don Jaime & others

Both can arrange flights for you too but might be cheaper to do it yourself.....might be worth looking into!
Hi thank you for your replys after having a look on internet at reviews like the look of cala millor was looking at the marins playa found there website its looks fab just what we are looking for nice big pools clean family friendly and kids clubs but all the reviews are really old no up to ones and cannot find it in any uk brochures cannot really find any hotels for the resort cala millor in brochures?? one review i did read was it is 90% german?? is there a hotel in cala millor thats got the kids clubs/big pools/family friendly thats not all german or is cala millor more geared towards the germans also how far is cala millor in a coach from the aorport any help would be great many thanks
Also going to price up the bonaire on there own website as travel agent for them the price for s/c is sky high
I know everyone wants different things from there holiday been looking at travel republic trying to price up somewhere doing it diy does seem cheaper its just the case are finding the right hotel and resorts for us now thank you for the website there great
Also like the look of the protur aparthotel vista badia
The Vista Badia is great; good location, spacious apartments, not so vast as the Safari (but you can still use their facilities) and I don't think it is as German orientated as the Safari ;) . You can only book the Vista Badia through their website if doing DIY. Thomsons do packages but I would imagine the price to be extortionate!! Give the Vista Badia a try; you won't be disappointed. Do DIY also if you can get decent flight prices then you can take your time looking for accommodation. We booked our hotel well in advance but kept an eye on prices for other apartments and the closer it got to our departure date, the cheaper the apartments were :yikes . Glad we booked our hotel though because a couple of months before departure it was full!
The bottom end of Cala Millor is VERY German orientated to the point where I'd say you can actually feel a change in atmosphere but perhaps that's just me. The comment that the resort is 90% German isn't an accurate reflection on the central part of the resort at all...it would be right for the bottom end I think but not the main part.

Cala Bona and Cala Millor merge into one...hard to see where one ends and the other starts truth be told so whether you are staying either resort, you're only a minutes stroll along the lovely flat promenade to where you want to get to so I wouldn't worry about choosing one over the other - Cala Bona is a quieter resort but it's not a morgue and the harbour area at night is always lively and you're never more than a 5-10 minute stroll to Cala Millor.

The Marins Playa Apts are lovely situated on the back road (Na Llambies) at the start of Cala Bona albeit they seem to come under Cala Millor. I did a quick Google search and found some reviews but latest ones for Sept last year until I went onto Travel Republic who do the apartments and it looks like it could be just what you're looking for!!!!

I'll PM you the link as I'm not sure I can post it on here but having read them, I'd say you wouldn't be at all disappointed if you're wanting family friendly, plenty of entertainment and big pools! Across the road is Supermercado C'an Pedro - owned by pedro and his English wife Eileen - Pedro makes a mean sarnie to order and prices are VERY reasonable!

Transfer time via coach can be anything from an hour to hour and a half....we do the private transfer in a minibus in approx 50 minutes but obviously with a coach you have your drop-off's which extend that time.
Would like a hotel / resort that has a mixture of people from around the world not all german guests as would like my child to be able to mix with other children

Just want to find the rigth place think i have summed it down to theses

Protur Bonaire ( but the prices for this accomadation is coming up sky high at mo)

Protur aparthotel vista bahia

Marins playa

Coma gran aparthotel

IF cant find anywhere then its back to acludia like the look the Condesa de la bahia

Many thanks for everyone who has given advice
Millymol18. I think the Coma Gran or the Vista Badia would be great for you. My first choice would be the Coma Gran for the kids (read the reviews on this website and others).
We've just got back from Cala Bona. Fantastic resort, mainly over 16s but beach not great-shale/rocks etc.
Went into Cala Millor a lot , great beaches, livelier and definately family friendly.Visited Sa Coma one day-lovely beach promenade/resort too. S'Illot looked lovely but small.
I would recommend Cala Millor -the end near Cala Bona, lots to do/see. Atolon Hotel seemed very popular with families-it was on the border of Cala Bona/Cala Millor.
enjoy!

choco x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.