Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi Dawnie-Rob ... is this a problem with one particular website, or in general ?

David :wave
Hi David
It seems to be most of them. Especially the main holiday companies who offer flights only. I think Thomsonfly allow it but their schedules for June 2008 are not available yet. But if they do the outward flights look cheap, and then wallop you on the return and then add all those extra charges and its no longer cheap!! Regarding some that actually do one way I was quoted over a thousand pounds and you have two changes which is ridiculous. Opodo is a terrible site for giving you multiple changes, and they tend to be BA ( with the matronly dressed flight attendants)
We haven't decided where we are planning to go next year, its either Portugal, Cyprus, Turkey, or even Spain the same as this year. Its in a thinking about it stage. Whether to go package which works out dear, or diy as I have done 2 years running. But at the moment we are at the research stage. Accommodation, and flights separately. It seems also I have noticed if you look into package, and yet again you know the flights are there, you put the flights only in, and there we no flights available.
Another thing what gets me, if you travel alone on a package it tends to come up not available, soon as you put up two people, hey presto! It is
I wished Easyjet would do more places.
Sorry about the moaning!

Regards
Dawnie-Rob
Dawnie-Rob,

Most of the main charter airlines now allow one way travel on their flights, the exception being My Travel. However, as you have found, they often charge more for one way flights, especially on the inbound leg. This is often because they have to ensure there is a seat on the inbound flight so unless someone books an outbound flight only, they can't sell the seat and therefore the extra is because they are potentially losing a fare. I know its frustrating, but that's just the way it is. Some flights don't always show as being available because they are charter flights only, and therefore they can't sell seats on the flight unless you go through the charter operator. I never use agents to book flights and go direct to the airlines because agents often charge you extras or don't show the most sensible flights, ie flying via Heathrow, Gatwick, Amsterdam etc which is silly. That's part of the fun of booking a DIY though, all the planning and research!

Darren
Hi dawnie-bob - spending the 6 winter months in Tunisia, we always have this problem unless booking a schedule flight with BA or Tunisiar - both excellent, but involving a 3 and 5 hour journey to get to the relevant airports. Last year we decided to go with a charter flight - only an hours journey to each airport. Paid £86 each outbound and were going to book our return flights in Tunisia nearer the return date. However, just before we left the UK, I decide that I dare not risk that so rang Thomsons to book the return and paid £275 each to get back!!!!! This year we have booked the outbound flight and are going to risk booking the return from there, having been reassure by a rep. that it will not be a problem. Having made that decision, I know that I will be worrying as the date to leave here approaches, so may give in at the last minute again and pay the extortionate price over here!!
What I cannot understand, is why I cannot book a return flight for the later date and then inform them that I will not be using the outbound journey. I have queried this twice, but been assured that if there is a no show on the outbound flight, the return journey will definitely be cancelled - irrespective of any messages!! Ah! well ......... Jenny x
If anyone has a solution to this query, I am sure that Dawnie and I will be very interested. :)
I have booked 10days flight only for June 2008 to Turkey with http://www.aegeanflights.co.uk it was no more expensive than the 7 or 14 day price I am actually flying out of Glasgow and back to Edinburgh as Edinburgh only has a flight on a Tuesday but I am happy with that especially as it cost £210 for all3 of us
Hi there
Yes it is difficult. Glasgow is a long way to go to especially if you live in the midlands. These sites say book one way and they make it you can't.
I live in the midlands and its seems even harder to get the flights, we are treated as if we live in the wilderness!! The supplements are horrendous!
In the past when we have booked our holidays it works out an extra £300-£350 in airport supplements (there was five of us) for flying from Birmingham or East Midlands. It does look well having to travel hundreds of miles to get a flight. Mind you last year I went to Majorca on my own with Easyjet and I went from Luton. This year we went to Ibiza from Stansted with Easyjet again, didn't like that airport. You are shattered with the travelling before you get on your plane!
I will look at the aegeanflights website fionay, thank you

Regards
Dawnie-Rob
ryanairs site seems to work quite well for booking one-way tickets.
i regularly book to fly from luton to gerona and return to stansted.
i get the flight times that suit me, and can go for any number of days that suit me.
Hi Dawnie-Rob. I actually booked one way flights to Spain. We flew out with First Choice and then flew back with Jet2. Only changed the airline because it was cheaper that way. Maybe you can look into this option.
Good Luck. Lins1
Hi DawnieRob, I sent Thomsonfly an email asking if it was possible to buy a return flight, BUT inform them that I would only be using the return part - and was told that this could be done. (Despite previously being told that if the outbound flight was not used, the ticket would automatically be cancelled!) However, they did not tell me how to inform them of these details, so have sent them another mail. If no-one else comes up with the answer, I will let you know. Jenny x
Hi, Dawnie - is Manchester any better for you? Booked 11 nights to Turkey for July 2008 with Aegean. They fly Monday and Friday (I think) so I booked out on the Monday, back on Friday with no problems.
Sorry - meant to say that I think they ONLY fly Monday and Friday.
We always use flymonarch from Birmingham when we travel to Portugal. Next years flights should be out in the next 4 weeks and they fly to Faro and back every day. Have had 9 / 11 / and 16 night breaks there in June. Flying in the week should cost under £100 each return.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.