Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Cape Verde
25 Posts
Well we've had our heads in the brochures all night. We've more or less decided to go to Cape Verde, and the Riu Karamboa seems to be favourite at the moment. So if anyone has any thoughts on this i'd be glad to hear them. Thanks. :)
Have you read my review ? We were there from mid May for 2 weeks. http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/holiday_truths/hotel_reviews/10063/ClubHotel%20Riu%20Karamboa%20/ Since then there have been problems with overbooking, NickmacUK has experience of this (just returned), and had to be temporarily found a room in another hotel . I think many holidaymakers who originally booked for Mexico are being re-located here (due to swine flu) causing this problem. Hopefully this will only be a temporary problem.
Marlou - Cape Verde is an up & coming holiday destination, & at present is very quiet with not much to do outside the hotels. Please read the resort & hotel reviews carefully, as you would any destination you haven't been before.
Thanks for your review Frank. Oh is insisting he wants to go there, as the place is "undiscovered"!!
Just got back from the Karamboa (and other places review to be posted shortly) had a great time would certainly go back. Depends what you are wanting from a holiday. If its chilling out in a good hotel and relaxing on some of the Worlds best beaches then its ideal. But outside the hotel it is definitely 3rd World but again worth seeing. If its shops bars cafes and nightclubs that rock your boat forget it.
Is there anything at all to walk to outside the complex? We went to the Movenpick in Taba in Feb, and there was nothing at all to do there apart from laze around, eat, drink and snorkle! We had a great time, it sounds like this place is the same.
You can walk on the beach into the Capital Sal Rei takes about an hour I think (we went by taxi) but dont expect anything too plush it is very undevelpoed but the locals all seem friendly.
Well we've just booked our holiday. 2 Weeks in Riu Karamboa Cape Verde :hyper :hyper
Marlou

If you put Verde into the Search facility and choose Topic Titles there are several topics in this forum including a Q&A's one.

luci :wave
If you do a search on nickmacuk on the well known video site I have posted some slideshows on the Karamboa and Boa Vista. Not allowed to post post direct links in here and just found out apparently not allowed to name the site either :que
You can name the site with 2 words, but not joined together. ;)

luci :wave
Thanks Lucy :tup

Marlou search nickmacuk on You Tube :)
Thanks for that guys :wave: I'm so excited now.
Am I right in saying that the currency in Cape Verde is Escudo please!
Marlou - If I understand it right, the currency is Escudo, but you cannot purchase them before hand. You have to exchange out there, similar to Tunisia I presume. However the currency is pegged at 110 Escudo to 1 Euro, so the rate will be very similar for the pound.
So I should change my money to Euro's here, then exchange them to Escudos out there :que
You should be able to change direct from Pound Sterling - at the moment 128 Cape Verde Escudos to the pound. Remember if you google that there are Potugese Escudaos too which are different
Just take Euros but you will be lucky to find anything to spend it on except pos trips and trinkets and tips. Euros are the currency in the hotel but stuff there is over priced. Euros are accepted everywhere else for drinks souveniers etc low denomination notes or coins are best you could end up getting local currency in change.You will end up bringing most of your currency back home . unless you lash out on excursions, this really is an AI holiday destination :sun2
Thanks for that. To be honest I'm not planning on taking much cash with me, just thought i'd better take some just in case. We'll probably take a credit card with us to pay for any trips we go on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.