France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Suggest you look at the website for the airport (Bordeaux Merignac) and see what rental agencies are on site. Alternatively you could look up the UK car hire brokers Holiday Autos (INVALID URL and see what they can offer in terms of price and vehicle capacity.

Normally the 'major players' Hertz, Avis and Europcar cover airports in France even if they have to bring the car from their city locations.

I think that the price you have been quoted for 10 days is quite reasonable as this is peak season and this part of the world is full to bursting with holidaymakers - often Parisians!!!

You might also decide to check out your journeys with http://www.viamichelin.fr and 'bison fute' which offers alternatives to roads that are usually jammed solid during the holidays. The Bordeaux ring road, sadly has a bad reputation for getting snarled up, and also the road that links it to Arcachon.

Oh and if you haven't already booked accommodation, be it at the seaside or inland in the Dordogne/Bergerac area or even further south in the Landes, make sure you start early as capacity is limited!
Hi CHW

We flew into Bordeaux the last week in July this year. I booked car hire in February through Argus car hire (they are a broker) for GBP 175 for the week. Car hire in Bordeaux seems to be quite expensive! The company we had the car from was Budget. We were the only ones at the desk (couldn't believe it - no queues!) and we had a free upgrade to a much better car (Vauxhall Meriva) - so well pleased! The person on the desk was very pleasant and spoke excellent English (if your French is a bit rusty!).

The only thing I would mention is that we didn't check that the car had the necessary high viz vest and other safety stuff I understand you are supposed to have, if the Gendarme stop you, they can fine you! We only realized it wasn't there much later on, we did mention it to Budget when we returned the car, though.

We had to return the car with a full tank of petrol and I'd advise you to fill up away from the airport, as it was a lot more expensive at the airport petrol station.

Have a brilliant contact for parking at Gatwick airport if you're going from there - just let me know.

hh :wave:
Hilshols and Alsacienne

Thanks for the advice and tips.

CHW :smokin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.