America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I did a similar journey from Boston to LA back in the mid-nineties, along with my wife and 2 children.

I rented a car from Alamo, but any of the big companies will do, so long as they have depots in both locations. There was a one way drop fee of $500, which represents the cost of returning the car to it's home base. I would imagine that with the increase in fuel costs, this is probably much higher now. Apart from the drop fee there was no problem in renting for a long drive. The route I took was 3750 miles coast to coast and I never attempted more than 550 miles in a day, alternating with a short drive or city stay to break up the journey. All told I was on the road for 3 weeks.

One tip I found useful. If you are a member of the AA in this country, you get reciprocal membership of the AAA. I found a local office in Boston and was able to get guidebooks and highway maps for each state I was visiting, free of charge. They were invaluable in identifying towns to stay in and hotels. Apart from the big cities where I pre-booked hotels from the UK, I just used to book one day ahead, rather than take a chance and just turn up.

All in all, I found it quite an easy trip to undertake, although it was a little daunting when first setting out, knowing that you have to get to the other side for your flight home!

If I can help any more just let me know.

John
Or you could take the train and stop off enroute if you wish, or book a roomette. Great way to see the US and meet other travellers at the same time. http://www.amtrak.com

Be aware that passenger trains have lower priority to freight so allow for delays on long sectors. I did Philadelphia to Washington to Chicago to San Francisco 2 years ago and the train journeys were wonderful.
Did a long trip three years ago using http://www.airline-network.co.uk for car hire, pre paid in the Uk.
It was Dollar where the car came from, $200 drop off fee and no problems. The fee does vary with the distance between points.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.