France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
We stayed here and the kids renamed it sh*thole de fretay !

I cannot understand how such a lovely place has been ruined by such incompetant proprietors.

We didn't have dead goats on the goat cart track but we had no running water for 48 hours, damp, broken kitchen cupboards, no electric for 24 hrs, gas ran out 24 hrs, bikes hired arrived 3 days late, stampeding horses, green swimming pools..... the best one was the rats by the rubbish bonfire located next to the main pool and restaurant !

Golf course is a joke.

Sports hall..... nice carpet hanging from the walls, basketball hoops fell down al the time, badminton facilities were a joke, rubbish everywhere.

Fishing lakes are 3 inches deep in most places !

No locks on the gite door, not that they would be any good because the door didn't shut anyway ! Apparently locks are ot needed at Fretay ??
What about my passports/cash et etc ?

Chateau de Fretay has great potential, but avoid at all costs until it has a new owner.........

One saving grace tho is the amount of laughs it has provided our group with ever since we left

"do you remember the day he burnt all the restaurant rubbish next to the pool ? Then spent 30 minutes with his JCB putting the fire out " ??

We had to laugh....... sad but true.
Awful stuff!! How can they keep running it the same way? The two families we spoke to there were so unhappy with the site and had tole Robert so many times about things being wrong. I think they are probably nice people at heart but who are totally out of their depth. When we tried to change our accommodation, the French Tourist Board in Fougeres were very helpful and asked us to make a formal complaint. They said we were entitiled to a full refund if the accommodation/facilities were not what we were expecting. Wish I had known that when I first arrived and asked for my money back! Robert offered us our money back for the second week only.

** Edit to remove potentially libellous comments. luci HT Mod **
We visited this place in 2003. Their website made it sound fantastic with all the facilities you could need. But when we got there it was like a bad joke. The doors didn't close properly on the cottage, it was damp, it was horrible. There was a swimming pool but it wasn't very nice. The restaurant didn't open. No bedding was brought to us despite asking many times. Light bulbs had gone. Asked for them to be replaced - nothing. There was a run down cottage near where we were staying. They spent a week doing it up and then some people were staying in it. And one day we went outside and there was a dead sheep - told the kids it was sleeping. There was a dead baby goat too - had to keep the children away from that. Dreadful place. I was glad to get home. Took ages to get our deposit back too.
awful experience debbie40

I am receiving regular private messages from people from other discussion sites about the place. I also had a phonecall from the owners advising me to take review off tripadvisor.co.uk (including photos!!) cos they are losing business. what about the poor guests who are losing precious money and holiday time booking with them??!! I dont wish to cause anyone to lose business, however they are truelly not able to provide the kind of holiday they are promoting on their site. I asked for my sister's comments about their site, before I showed her our pictures - she said it looked like a fairly exclusive, quality family establishment in tranquil surroundings.... which is what I thought we were getting
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.