Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
I often buy cut price guide books
- I often use companies like "The Works" bookshop, and I've now got quite a home library.
However - one little word of warning.
The books are usually cut price because they are older editions.

I fell down a deep dark hole by buying a very old version Lonely Planet guide for Croatia last year.
Following my trusty guide book I caught the local bus from Porec down to Pula, intending to go visit the Roman ruins. The guide book gave me clear instructions about "walls facing the bus station", and "following the walls south" to get to the ruins.
Unfortunately between my old guide book and now - there have been changes.
The bus station had been moved to a completely different part of town, and I didn't know.
Wrong bus station, wrong walls, wrong everything!
To cut a long story short, I ended up hopelessly lost in a very industrial, graffiti scarred, unpleasant, ruined part of Pula, wandering around for hours, getting increasingly frustrated.
I know the feeling, I once got stranded in Portugal for three hours after following a Lonely Planet map to the station - only to find it was a vehicle testing station not the railway station!

Anyway, I bought the Italian Lakes book (which is 40% Milan) and it's the 2009 version which Amazon are still selling for £12.59.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.