America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
You need to price hotel and air fare and compare with a package. No-one can tell you are it depends on your dates, arirport, etc.

I prefer booking separate as I can get 5* hotels for the same or less than some packages.

luci :wave
The thing with a package is if you're booking for two people you often pay for the hotel 'twice'. What I mean by that is if a package costs say £600 for a 4 night trip with flights, the flights may be £450 each and you are paying £150 each for the hotel. So that's £300 for 4 nights which would get you a very good hotel in Vegas if you were booking seperately. Realistically the Luxor is likely to be available for around $50-70 a night, so under £50 a night.

Packages can offer great deals as well though, there was a deal a month or so ago that was offering flights and 5 nights at Bellagio for £599 (Hayes and Jarvis). It just depends on the deal really. Most people on here would argue that it's better to go DIY. That's what most of us do.

Cheers,

TC
I think it was Dagnabbit who got a good deal with lastminute.com for the Vdara. The good deals seem to be for 5 nights or less.

I would say DIY everytime. Hunt around and you can get great flight deals, and it also gives you the chance - if so inclined - to move around various hotels and grab the deals available.
Maybe I'm just biased - but as an Independent TA, we can use pretty much any company out there...

A lot of the suppliers that contract these hotels buy in bulk, therefore can sometimes get a hold of some exclusive room rates that can even be cheaper than the hotel direct!

Just as an example, a couple of weeks ago we had an exclusive deal for the Imperial Palace (O.K, Not the best hotel in Vegas, but clean and central) 2 weeks was going for £549 per person...

I would definately recommend going in to see your local independent Travel Agents (whoever they may be) - You may be surprised!
Who was that flying with, for which dates and from which airport?

You can get the IP for around $450 for 14 nights which is £150pp. £400 for a flight sounds pretty good.

It was based on May 2011 - we managed to get an exclusive through Expedia, it worked out about £100 per person cheaper than online - just because we went and asked for it!

They gave us 15 rooms to sell and told us not to advertise it unless it was in the office, or the deal was off. As I'm sure you'll guess - it sold out pretty quickly!

I can't quite remember who the flights were with, I think it may have been AA, but at that price - who cares!
Sorry forgot to add, departing from Edinburgh (with connections in London ans U.S)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.