America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Sounds brilliant - no wonder you're excited! :tup
Got back after a hectic 2 weeks in the windy city. Although this was our 6th time there we still found plenty to do.

1st the apartment. What a treasure. Located in Streeterville which is the most expensive part of town we rented a studio apartment at De Witt Place. Cheaper than the cheapest hotel room it came with everything we needed including a fully equipped kitchen. It was so good we even entertained friends to dinner in there and cooked for them!
There were so many highlights and old favourites but best of all was our day in Springfield.
We happen to know one of the elected State representatives and when he found out we were taking the train down to Springfield he got on the case. We were met at the station by his PA togther with a Deputy Sheriff and his patrol car! We were driven to the capitol building where proceedings were halted so that the 'International Visitors' couold be welcomed by the House. We had to stand in the gallery while all the reps and visitor applauded and photos were taken. his was followed by tea and biscuits in the Secretary of State's office. We then met the State Governor before being whisked off in the cop car to the Lincoln liberary/museum. There we were admitted as guests and given a personal tour! Then back in the car for a drive out to New Salem, a re-constructed village where Abe Lincoln spent his teenage and adult years before getting elected to the State Senate. Then back into town to tour the old capital building where Abe practiced law and sat as a Senator before getting elected as President of the USA! Finally a slap up dinner in the swankiest of restaurants where the prices are not printed on the menus paid for by a lobbyist who was looking to get a favour out of our politician friend!

Other things we did included a Chicago Greeter tour which took 4 and a half hours and took us into some of the building (such as the Trump Tower) where ordinary people are not allowed and some of the history of the city and its citizens was explained to us. This was a personal tour with just my wife and I plus the guide and was absolutly free, not even a tip.

Best value ticket in town is the CTA public transport pass $28 for 7 days unrestricted travel on buses and the 'L'.

We did Andy's jazz club on one evening. I am not a jazz fan but was dragged along by a friend and to be honest it wasn't bad and had an authentic feel about it. $5 entrance fee and the drinks were normal downtown bar prices.
A friend took us out to the Indiana Dunes which at that time of year was deserted and very beautiful.

All in all a great holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.