Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
We didn't have US dollars or sterling with us and just got money out of the ATM's using our Nationwide Debit Card (so no fees). We were on a group tour and I don't remember being asked to pay in any other currency than Yuan. I guess it might help in a backup situation, but it's not essential in my opinion.

As for weather, well we went in July so it's three months different and obviously not really comparable but I would guess the 13c is the lowest it will get at night. Certainly during the day in all three places you are going it was very very hot and sticky, I think Shanghai was over 40c when we were there. I would make summer clothes a priority in your packing, but also take some jeans and trousers. I can remember walking around in jeans in Shangahi in the evening and being very uncomfortable in July.

BTW loved Shanghai and Xian, Beijing was awful but I would hope that improvements have been made since our trip in 2006 because of the Olympics.

Enjoy your trip.
Hi Greekofile
The answer is LAYERS.

T shirts, lightweight fleeces, possibly a lightweight waterproof jacket if there is likely to be rain/showers, maybe those trousers that zip off into crops and shorts.

You think YOU have a problem with variable weather! We experienced 30 in Shanghai and -4 at night in Chengde. :yikes
I wore shorts & T shirt in Shanghai (early Oct) but we had fleeces, gloves, scarves, hats in Chengde (not to be confused with Chengdu) late October.

Take a look at my review of our 27 day tour of China on here, that might give you a bit more information.

We took £ sterling and changed some at Shanghai airport and then at odd times in hotels during the tour.
Some people had £sterling traveller cheques and changing these seemed to be a lot more of a 'palaver'.
But i guess you have to balance security of TCs against cash.
All our hotels had electronic safes in the rooms.

We didn't need any US $ at all. I read somewhere that you get a better deal at some of the markets with $, but to be honest, the tourist 'tat' was so cheap anyway. :rofl

Are you doing it independantly or with an organised tour?

All our meals/entrance fees/travel were included, so other than the tourist 'tat', we spent very little.
We paid out £3 per day each up front to the Tour Guide (£156 for the 2 of us for 26 days), and other than the gifts I bought (pandas, pashminas, 'pearl' jewellery, shoes :oops: , fake bags, keyrings etc), we spent less than £200 over the 27 days.

Unlike jwhiting, we loved Beijing but didn't really like Shanghai (other than the Museum - which we went back to in our free time).
The difference in our opinions may be because he saw Beijing prior to the Olympics and we went AFTER, and he saw Shanghai BEFORE it turned into a building site in preparation for Expo 2010.
Shanghai DOES have some stunning new buildings though.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions I'll try to answer.
Opinions on Beijing vary wildly to be honest, I know of people who love the city and equally some that don't, and that includes since the Olympics. If everybody was the same this world would be one dull place.

At the end of the day though you have to include Beijing in any China itinerary and you can make up your own mind on the cities positives and negatives. What I would say about the city is that everything is very cheap. We tended to base our cost comparisons on the price of a bottle of beer (and why not?) and at a market stall with a few plastic chairs outside we were finding 500ml bottles of beer for 5 Yuan. Very very cheap. Whether that has changed since the Olympics is anybodys guess but there is seriously value to be had from a trip to China.
My first trip to China almost 20years ago was in April, and it was very cold in Beijing. I was with a tour group and a lot of the people in the group had to buy warm jackets as they had thought the weather would be warm or even hot. The temp in Xian was slightly warmer though I still had to wear a jacket. I remember Shanghai being warmer but have just pulled out my old holiday pictures and saw that I was wearing a fleece.
As Prettypollycat says, take layers then you are equiped for most temps.
As to Beijing being awful I found most of the cities awful away from the main tourist attractions, with large grey institutional type buildings and the people living in depressing poverty which was a real contrast to the luxury hotels that we tourists were staying in. Shanghai was a building site though not on the Putong side of the river where it was still open countyside but on the Bund where a large renovation project was in progress and some other areas where homes were being cleared to build more hotels.
I returned to China ten years later and found it hard to recognise Beijing , huge areas had been cleared and modern high rise buildings had been erected (albeit with some oriental styling) and new wide roads.
I still found most cities there awful but in everyone of them there are areas of beauty with lots to see. Both of my visits were pre-olympics so I would be interested to see if the changes made would affect my views now. I'll stop rambling on now as I am going really :offtop .
Enjoy your trip, China is an interesting country, I hope to return to visit more areas of this huge land someday.
thanks to all who replied. very useful information and I am very grateful
Sorry all was rushed when I replied last time.

I am going on an organised trip as a taster really. 10 days Shanghai, Xian and Beijing as previously stated. All full board so don't really know how much extra we will need to take by way of cash. Your replies were extremely welcome and useful. I find holidaytruths great because no matter which forum one looks in the people who take part are knowledgeable and willing to give the info on an unbiased basis - sure there will be likes and dislikes but that's what makes it realistic. Thanks a million. ;)
Greekofile

Your thanks are much appreciated. Many times on the forums members spend a lot of time researching info. to answer posters questions without ever receiving any acknowlegement. We are all members of HT because we are interested in travel and post info. not to receive thanks but to help, though it is very satisfying when someone posts such a nice thankyou as yours. I hope you will post a trip report after your return.

Judith
Great reply, Judith - my sentiments exactly.

Greekofile
I'm sure you'll have a great time.

If ypou've not already, do take a look at my trip report:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=127655

As well as giving info on the places you're visiting, it contains general info about how these organised tours are run.

Before we went, I read a review on Tripadvisor by a lady who had done an almost identical tour to ours but by Wendy Wu Tours.
I found her advice invaluable and in fact changed my idea of what to take as a result of what she said about things being informal.

Looking forward to reading your trip report when you get back.
Hi Greekofile, all I say is that I am jealous! We visited China for the first time in 2006 and stayed almost 3 weeks. My trip report is here if you haven't already seen it - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=85325 - I'm sorry that it's long but I so much to say!!

I loved China, the people we met were all so nice and genuine. The culture is so different and I'm sure you'll find it a great holiday experience. You'll see from my report that there are some great things to see in Beijing but of all the places we went it was the most crowded and most polluted. Judith is right you'll see a lot of poverty but you'll also see lots of smiles.

Like you we were mostly on full board and that being the case you'll find you don't need a lot of money. If we needed any I simply withdrew some from a local ATM (good old Nationwide!) but to be honest we spent very little on the tour, it was only when we got to HK that we spent seriously as we were just on B&B there.

We went in September and took a mixture of clothes - long/short sleeved tops, a jacket, long trousers/combat pants, plus a couple of frocks (for me) and trousers and a couple of shirts (for him) for getting 'dressed up' - and it worked out fine. Some days could be chilly at first but others were really quite warm. We also made use of local laundry services which were very good and reasonably cheap which meant we didn't need to pack too much.

Hope that helps.
Hi Puddleduck
I've just re-read your review (I'm sat waiting for someone to call so I thought I may as well do 'something useful' :rofl ).

I forgot to mention about the laundry facilities, although we just washed out our 'smalls' and the odd T shirt.

A lot of what you said was echoed in my review, in particular:
the small amount of money you spend on these full board tours
disappointing Ming tombs - although you visited there as part of the Great Wall trip, we actually made a special trip out of Beijing. I agree about the Sacred Way though, that was a pleasant walk, looking at all the pairs of animals.
the weather in Xian was disappointing whilst we were there too, overcast, very wet and foggy
We were also disappointed with the Bund & Nanjing Road in Shanghai BUT as I said in one of my earlier posts, they are hosting Expo 2010 so masses of building going on and maybe we didn't get to see it at its best.

I agree about the highlights:
Great Wall, pandas, Terracotta Army, Li River Cruise (Guilin to Yangshuo),
PPC Glad you're making the best use of your time :rofl

I did enjoy your review - I always love to read what other people think of the places I've been. We're booked for this year (Puglia) but I am thinking of a long haul trip again next year the experience was fantastic.
Hi all

me once again. I have read the reports and they are really useful. Thanks for the advice about cash but I think my 'plastic' might take some hammer from Mrs G'file wheilst we're in Dubai. As I think I said ours is a short tour by many standards but what I can take from all of your views helps enormously. As my user name suggests we spend most of our time in Greece but fortuitously our hols this year are either not in the eurozone or all inclusive with the grandkids.
once again thanks a bunch to all of you wherever you are
Back safely!!

what a fantastic trip. Wendy Wu tours did us proud. we were a bit shocked at some of the early starts but now we know why - beat the big crush at the main sights. Must say though that Shanghai didn't do much for me, it was just another city although there were some nice museums and the obligatory trip to a "typical rural village". Thought Xian and the visit to terracotta army was stupendous and enjoyed Beijing as a city and of course the spring board to the great wall. The food became a bit monotonous but because it was included and we didn't have time to search elsewhere we made the best of it. The weather!!!! I asked about it on this forum and the chinese embassy and you all gave the same advice from your experiences so it caught us out. It just got hotter and hotter until Beijing reached 27 degrees plus and I had to haggle hard to buy some cheap T shirts.
All in all a fantastic time and thank you some much to those of you who contributed with advice and tips - they really did help.
Hi Greekofile

Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip, hopefully you will tell us a bit more about it. I know what you mean about the food, towards the end of our time on mainland China during my first trip a fellow traveller and I just skipped the included meal one night and headed for the hotel coffee shop and had something and chips (can't really remember what but something western) as we were really getting fed up with the food, it all started to taste the same, maybe too much MSG, most unusual for me as I normally don't have a problem with the food in most countries I visit. When we hit Hong Kong we headed for a fish and chip shop. :really

Judith
So glad you enjoyed it Greekofile - looking forward to a full trip report when you are fully recovered.
give me another week or so and will give my thoughts - mostly positive. thanks for taking an interest
Hi everyone

I haven't forgotten!! will post my report shortly - going on hols. 22/5 so will be a couple more weeks.
HERE GOES AT LAST!
we took this tour as a means of seeing the main attractions knowing that it would be a whistle stop visit. we booked for 10 days and travelled with Wendy Wu Tours. All meals, tips etc. were included in the price. The pre travel service was excellent and all information supplied was accurate.
We flew with Emirates via Dubai and our first stop was in Shanghai. Stayed at the Ramada CCECC Plaza. The hotel was reasonable and the rooms comfortabale and well equipped. We were escroted throughout by a national tour guide. In each location we also had a local guide. Visited Wuzhen, did the obligatory city tour, museum, peoples' square, the Bund and river cruise in the evening. In my opinion it was just like any other large city in ther world but we were "expected" to visit.
Our tour continued in Xian where we visited the city walls, the local theatre for a show (which was fabulous!) and of course the terracotta warriors which was the hilight of the trip for my wife.
Onward to Beijing with visits to museums,Little Wild Goose Pagoda,Summer Palace, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven,Tiananmen Square and the Great Wall.
Sounds a lot to fit in but we were surprised that the ease with which each step of the tour took place. The guides ensured that we saw the sights at the "right time" and even though some of the days started extremely early we came to realise the rationale behind it.
The food was a disappointment in that it was bland and repetetive and it is the only holiday where I have come home lighter than when I went. Overall though it was excellent value for money and would not have missed it for the world. temperatures caught us out. 25-27 in Beijing!! and there we were equpiied with Gortex!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.