General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
You only have to trawl through all the posts about airlines letting people down to put things in perspective (ever heard of a railway changing the date of your ticket and refusing refunds??).

Biggest problems of Eurostar via France is connections. Only a tiny number go to anywhere beyond Paris so you have to change to a French train. There is a chance that you could do this at Lille but otherwise it would be Paris - and unfortunately that means changing stations. That aside getting to Switzerland is now very easy as there are TGVs to Basel (from Paris Est) and Lausanne or Geneva (from Paris g.de Lyons). Rome is a lot further but could be done on an overnight train from Paris. Eurostar have just about sorted themselves out and offer proper through tickets, for years they pretended to be an airline without wings and wouldn't talk to other rail companies.

The connections at Brussels are easier as use all long distance trains use the same station, you can get to Switzerland but it takes longer. You can also reach Germany, especially the Rhine, in an easy day. Or the Netherlands, which has always had easy through ticketing.

Don't forget, unlike many airlines the train fare includes your luggage but you have to carry it with you.

There are three main options for tickets in Britain, Eurostar themselves (may limit destinations they sell), Raileurope and their agents, Deutsche Bahn UK and their agents. Because of exchange rates and other variables they don't always charge the same prices.
You'll find answers to all your questions and many more at

http://www.seat61.com/

run by 'the man in seat 61' I think it is the best site around for anyone wanting to travel by train and has lots of advice on how to get the cheapest seats etc.

SM
Thank you for your replies so far. :)

Seat61 is very informative, thanks for letting me know.
Journey's sound rather smooth !

However did read a blogg from somebody who did the overnight Rome trip and said it was awful :?
So hence my questions on experiences.
The Rome journey has the potential to be awful, much depends on route and specific train!

The new season timetable is loaded on German Railways' website and can do enquiries for pan European journeys, including any British station. It even works in English at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en , if you ask for anything outside of Germany it will ask you how old you are, put anything in - you can work on getting the best discount once you know where you want to go for sure.

As examples, on a Friday you can get the 07:44 from Ebbsfleet to Paris and then get to Basel by 15:50 or Lausanne by 16:52 (and still have time for onward connections deeper into Switzerland)

The 12:44 from Ebbsfleet to Paris will get you there in time for the best night train to Roma for an arrival at 09:52 next morning.

The 10:14 to Brussels will get you to Cologne by 15:45 or Amsterdam at 17:06
Thanks Steve,

Had a look at the german site... a bit :? to me :oops: !

Will try and make heads and tails of it though :roll: :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.