Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Coco Beach...
17 Posts
Coco beach was pretty much devastated in the monsoon, so dont think there is much of a beach left now
yep coco beach is no longer. some of the shacks have moved up north to ashvem and morjim.
we usedPn's Place at morjim a few times and it was very good food.
BOB :que :tup
Coco Beach is still there - much smaller but still there. We were there in December lot fewer people and then we found out that people were being told that coco beach was no longer there but it is unless I was dreaming.
There's never been that much of it there anyway, good job its shallow for a long way out
It has around 10 shacks this year. But at high tide the sunbeds are in the water, not sure how it was before the last monsoon. Beach still have a nice gentle sloop in, so great for easy swimming. The garbage behind the shacks is the worst I have seen. The toilets are vile!!
However on the front, totally relaxing and spent a great day at Queen Victoria's shack. No hassle and great service.
After a bad cut to my leg that required a lot of stitches I was warned off swimming in the ocean by more than one doctor, as the quality of the sea all up and down the coast is pretty toxic because of the lack of any decent sewage control. As Cocco Beach is more or less the Mandovi River, I would guess the water quality is even worse, so I'd not be too keen swimming there, if I risked it, I'd keep my mouth very very tightly shut !!! Alan
Very true. The water quality is poor much of the coastline, even more so in the estuary's. I would never contemplate anything other than a careful breast stroke just to cool off!!! Head kept well above.
Hmmm...I've caught and eaten lots of fish from Coco Beach.

I think it might look worse than it is
There was a long thread once about Pig Toilets, mabey the fish have similar tastes ?
Alan
i only went there once, that was about three years ago. the water at that time had a thin film of oil over it. it turned me off going in the water. didn't really rate the rest of the beach either!!
BOB :think :cry
Went there in January 06 a couple of times, once for the day and the other after one of Johns Boat Trips. Wasn't impressed. The place was dirty and as one of the other replies stated the water was dirty. There are plenty of other beaches to go but I must admit it does look idylic from a boat.

:cheers
"as the quality of the sea all up and down the coast is pretty toxic because of the lack of any decent sewage control"

So are some of the swimming pools! Especially some places that advertise herbal pools.... Giardia alert.... have had that and the only explanation was either shower or 'fresh' water pool.... that's how you get it (and not just in Goa).

Back on topic...

Coco beach has been well documented before and the state of the Mandovi .... DON'T swim there, in fact I wouldn't even eat there as there is too much a risk from floating bacteria about with all the jobbies that must get emptied in the Mandovi! This isn't opinion, this is fact... been told by Candolim locals about the illegal dumping into the Nerul which flows past Coco Beach into Mondovi. Also stay well clear of where Baga river meets Baga Beach.... get further down the beach.
:yikes Neil when ever i use baga beach i ALWAYS sit in that river that meets the sea.. i find it so warm god how lucky am i that i've never caught something (i don't mean fish either)..
Baga River... I used to chat daily to an elderly woman who ran a small shop next to the Royal Goan, she told me a lot about the river and what had been going on with illegal disposal of waste, not as bad as Mandovi and Nerul but on the increase. It's an increasing problem at present.... another one :(
I have noted some of the comments re eating at any of the shacks on Coco Beach. We have been there for 3 years in a row the last being Dec 07 and ate in one of the shack Lovely Jubley nearly everyday never once did I have a tummy upset (and believe me if anyone's going to get an upset tum it's me) I don't swim so I suppose the quality of the sea dosn't bother me. I will admit though there are far nicer beach in the South and far North and on most you don't get bothered by sellers. 2 mins on Bagga Beach is more than enough for me as is Candolem and Calangute.
I've just got back from my first trip to Goa this week, we travelled around to several different beaches and have to say I hated Coco, whilst the water was calm it was a strange red colour, I couldn't see my legs! The beach was tiny as well so the beds were crammed together, you could barely move between them, and for most of the day the beds were in water. We ended up sat counting down the hours until our taxi man came. Have to say though had no problems with food.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.