General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I LOVE being on a boat and once on I will happily explore decks, hang over the side to look into the water, doesn't matter how rough it is, but getting on is a different matter. Husband has to lead me, with my eyes tight shut, up the gangplank.
I think it stems from a time I was a small child crossing the pedestrian bridge over the River Tweed at Peebles. I can remember being terrified then!
On the other hand, on my husband's first flight (on our honeymoon) I had his fingerprints on my forearm for days! Luckily he loves flying now.
My husband absolutely refused to fly, dreaded it, but I found a holiday to Moscow at a very reasonable price and it was a destination he had dreamed of visiting. He quickly overcame his fear and we have since flown to most corners of the world.

Patka
I have a bad fear of heights - even climbing ladders is very difficult for me. However we spent last Christmas and New Year in Sydney, Oz and my present from my lovely relatives was Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb at dusk on christmas eve.

So I took deep breaths, heart racing and actually DID the climb. The biggest thrill and adrenaline rush I have ever had :) Something I will never forget.

Ali x
:yikes
I would love to do that but don't think I'd be able to
I hate flying and heights. I get scared if I stand up but I love boats. i know that, unlike aircraft. I can step over the side if there is trouble. I still fly to Rhodes on the way to Symi, though.
On holiday I get over my fear of my "wobbly bits" :lol: When I see everyone else letting it all hang out, I just think "ah well, I'm not as bad as I thought..." I now buy bikinis with less to them, because everyone else wears them, so why shouldn't I?
I used to have an irrational fear of red wine and vast quantities of foreign lager but, after holidaying in Portugal for the past twenty-odd years, I'm pleased to say that I'm completely over it and cured !! :glynis :rofl :rofl
My OH decided about 25 years ago he didn't want to travel anymore to destinations that were more than a four hour flight away. I love to travel to far away places and was extremely nervous about going anywhere on my own but made myself book a trip to Mexico, since then I have been all over the world sometimes with a friend, sometimes with a group but often on my own. If I had given in to my fears I would have missed out on some great trips and meeting some interesting people. Next solo trip is New York in March.
That is brave. I'm not sure if I could do that but, if I ever were in a similar position to you I might just pluck up the courage. What a great idea for another thread :D
when i was 19 i flew on my own to tenerife to meet some friends... since then i have always wanted to go on hols on my own but have never had the chance... but would still love to
For me it was my first long haul after a DVT that held a bit of trepidation, but it was something I had to do if I wanted to take the holidays I enjoyed the most. Especially when I got to Bangkok and my legs were swollen and aching thinking should I go to the docs for an ultrasound scan.
I have a phobia of stairs so getting to the top of the Sigiriya rock in Sri Lanka was terrifying - I was shaking every step of the last section. It was worth it in the end though!
Corinne

Well done, those last metal steps are awful. When I was there lots of people didn't even attempt to climb the last bit.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.