Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
lucky you dalyan is my favourite place in turkey,we went in june a meal for two wine and couple of beers cost us 80 lire,kalkan is rumoured to be more more expensive i have been a couple of times but didnt stay,the alleged inflated prices have put us off to be frank,if you are in a private rental then you can easily manage on £200,you wont have the added cost of the obligatory drinks at the hotel bar to deal with,enjoy yourself im sure you will have a wonderful time
My brother came with us this year to Marmaris (he's 36, so not young or good looking :rofl ) & he spent £700 in 2 weeks, he ate out twice a day and drank efes in the afternoon & evening, had tattoo & bought clothes.

Not bad £50 per day :tup
yes 700 quid in a fortnight is reasonable,my gripe is that i am aware of what some bars and restauraunts pay for their food/alcohol and i know what they charge, i have even seen tourists bringing bottles of spirits for their"friends"bars as a present from the airport duty free and then proceed to over the duration of their two week holiday,buy the bottle back in the bar therefore pay for it twice whilst the crafty waiter/manager is laughing!!!!!the turks beleive me do not pay the inflated tourist prices we pay in some resorts(unless they are the stinking rich upper class ones that usually holiday in bodrum)there is an english price and aturkish one and a profit is made either way,sorry to keep being so negative there are many, many ,genuine,kind people in turkey but i get fed up of some of the rip off types who fail to see that without our hard earned british pound they would be in dire straits
It's funny you should mention that as this time I have noticed this 'greed' you speak of. And yes I find it quite irritating. The owner of the apartments where we stayed tried to get us to bring him duty free from the airport, however, when nothing was brought for hi he got quite angry. There were other guests bringing spirits over for him and like you say only to be sold back to them, I think the profit per bottle was something in the region of about £125 for a £11 duty free bottle of vodka this is my guestimate, so don't quote me)!

There are many places to go to that do have genuine offers and great value for money but there are some where the prices are off the wall. However, we really enjoyed our holiday and the shopping around pay's off as the people who you meet along the way are often kind and friendly... I just tend to do as I would do at home really re shopping around, but obviously don't go ott, don't want to become too obsessed on holiday!!! :cheers
We were in calis beach in may and were shocked at how prices have risen , a steak meal was 28 lira each cigs have gone up though we dont smoke a friend asked us to get him 400 L&G they wanted £52 in the shops but at duty free they cost £32, breakfast was 11 lira , its the first time we have self catered in Turkey and cooked for ourselves and we were not alone, if your going to calis beach may we reccomend a turkish restraunt its on the corner facing the Indian it has a small goldfish pond in it ( no the fish are not to eat lol ) great meals and cheapest we found the sea bass was fantastic , the Turks are blaming a rise in tax and some are blaming their new muslim president whoever is to blame needs to be carefull they just might be killing the golden goose .
yes but as ive already posted,some turkish places are doing chicken shish,adana kebab,mixed grill at least 10 lire cheaper than tourist places and still making a profit a cola is 2.5 lire compared with5/7lire so i am afraid the tax rise increase is a little hard to swallow for me i dont begrudge paying 20/26 lire for a steak but 32/38 lire is taking the urine
I should have said 28 lira was the cheapest we found for a steak dinner im sorry , most places wanted 32to 36 lira also in our apartments they wanted 12 lira for a full english breakfast we found this to be OTT when the bacon they were cooking was being brought in by brits we bought a tray of 36 eggs from the market for 4 lira so i suppose you have to ask who is kidding who in Turkey at the min .
a kilo of tomatoes is around 75 korus(SP?)which i would say is around 25p, a loaf is 70 korus,although in adana apparently it can be bought for 50,various vegatables and fruit are pennies when bought at local markets eggs as you posted too very reasonable,there are natural water springs at which you can fill empty water bottles everywhere,one bar in marmaris was actually marketing this as fresh mountain water and charging extra!!!.Family from the mersin/adana area are now living in one of the resorts and cant beleive how much the tourist markets charge for their produce
Yes we bought Tomatoes for 70 korus and Strawberrys i swear to you we got so many we were sharing them with all the other guest , got some wonderfull cheese for 3 lira and of course bread was dirt cheap 70 korus, we also got a pile of fresh chicken breast for ten lira , seems that might be the best thing to do now in Turkey cook your own .
I have a little pad in Turkey and have quite a few friends in the same position. When we first bought it we used to eat out almost all the time but over the years the cost of eating out has risen dramatically. So now we almost always eat at home as do many friends. Yes we can get cheapish food in back street cafes but I have come to realise my garden is lovely so why not eat there. We take it in turns and all muck intogether. Then we do what our Turkish neighbours seem to do and promenade round the harbour for a while before settling into a bar for a couple of night caps. I am not a slave in the kitchen so we keep it simple with a few mezes, some grilled fish or meat, tons of salad and a jacket potato or something. The fresh produce is very reasonable and Turkish potatoes the best I have ever tasted. We still eat out a couple of times a week but by mostly eating at home we find we spend no more on food than we would in UK and we still have a fab time. We were out there a few weeks ago and there was a noticeable increase in restaurant prices and in some places a reduction in the amount of food on a plate. Comparing it with countries in the euro zone though it is still cheaper.
The plates in restaurants and hotels in Turkey are on the small side it's true and we noticed this year that they're putting smaller portions on the plate and I love me grub! :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.