Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
If you use the Search facility in this forum there are several topics on Croatia.

luci :wave
The north part of Croatia doesn't have sandy beaches, although the resort of Rovinj was brilliant in every other respect!!

Check out the reviews :wink:
Hello Seagull,
Try Cavtat near Dubrovnik -it's only a 3km transfer from the airport making it quite attractive for a DIY holiday. You can even pre-book your taxi transfer online for about 80Kuna. There isn't a lot in the way of sandy beaches, but it's okay near the Iberostar Albatros where we stayed last year. There are some lovely restaurants and bars along a palm tree lined promenade where the yachts come and moor and you can easily get to Dubrovnik by water taxi or public bus.
It's about a 10 minute drive to the border with Montenegro and you can visit Kotor, Budva and Sveti Stefan all in the one day if you like.
See my review of Hotel and Holiday on the relevant pages.
Yiamass, Jean
HI ALL...been wondering over where to go either on cheap last minute (cash and time allowing) next year or future holiday when I have done a return trip to Callela de Parafrugel on costa brava the year after.
I was watching one of these programs that look for property abroad for people and the place they were looking was Montenegro. It looked gorgeous ...just up my street. So thought I would come here and get some more info.
Would like to know if late deals are usually offered here and who does package tours here. How does it compere price wise to the cost brava. Whats the weather like and best time to go. I am sure they mentioned an airport not far from one the areas they were looking at, would it be easy to arrange a DIY holiday, and has any one else been here , either package or DIY.
Loads of questions but program has wet my appetite, and really fancy going
Hi Seagull
I think Balkan Holidays to packages to Montenegro. Sorry don't really know of anyone else.
We flew with BA to Dubrovnik which as i have said is only a short drive from the Montenegro border. The flights were very reasonable but now I think they only fly from Gatwick (we went from Manchester). Thomson fly to Dubrovnik as well I think.
If you were to hire a car in Croatia to drive across the border you would need extra insurance. This is easy to get but just be aware.
I think the airport in Montenegro is Tivat. Not sure who flies there. Perhaps you could find the airport website and work backwards. That's what I usually do.
In Montenegro they are on Euros and there are ATMs. The food and drink was relatively cheap with plenty of pizzas, pasta and stuff if you are on a budget or seafood and meat if you can spend a bit more. They also have the pita gyros like in Greece (pitta bread with kebab meat, salad, chips etc) for about €1.50 at take-away kiosks.
Good luck with your search. Hope this has helped.
Yiamass, Jean
Southern Croatia doesn't have any sandy beaches either, and Montenegro at Budva is very gritty. Having said that, there are some beautiful places to visit - I would certainly suggest Dubrovnik - and you can always swim from the rocks .. the water is beautifully clear and warm.
I loved Montenegro last year, we flew into Dubrovnik and then had a hire car and drove into Montenegro and stayed in a couple of places but visited loads of places eg Dubrota, Kotor, Budva, Kosalin and lots more. We went in July and had lovely weather.

Linda
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.