Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
More of a Cristal man myself :tongue Hmm Beer...................................
Just 9 weeks to go till heaven
Oh 7 weeks then the first taste of Cuban beer
I'm in the Cristal camp too, although Bucanero is very nice. So are the Daiquiri's and Mojito's!

Darren
Definately a Bucanero for me, although Cristal comes a close 2nd.
Also, any advice on travel plug converters? Probably just need one for my phone charger.
evohicks wrote:
Also, any advice on travel plug converters?

You just need the two flat pin America style adapters.

Darren
Sorry Daz Round euro pin plug is what you need. 240 v most hotels.
snowyboy,

Not in the hotels I've stayed in it wasn't. The majority of hotels in Cuba have flat pin sockets.

Darren
On my most recent trip I actually came across 4 different types of sockets and eventually realised that a pattern was emerging. The type of socket will generally depend on who built the hotel and when, as follows!

1) Any hotel built before the Revolution is likely to have mainly American type flat two pin sockets with a 110v supply but if it's been renovated since then, if you search around the room there's a good chance that you'll find a European round two pin socket even if this means that you have to unplug the air conditioning to use it.

2) Older, wholly owned Cuban hotels built since the Revolution which were probably built with Soviet money or were aimed at visitors from Latin America are likely to have what looks like a European style round two pin socket but the holes are only 4mm across and not 4.8 so your EU adaptor is likely to have pins that will be too big to fit.

3) New-build joint venture hotels with European companies are likely to have standard European round 2 pin sockets with a 220v supply throughout.

4) New-build joint venture hotels with Canadian companies and/or expecting mainly Canadian guests are likely to have both a 110v supply using 2 flat vertical pins but are also likely to have and/or a 220v supply using 3 pin plugs - a round pin at the top and 2 flat horizontal pins.

5) And just to make life really difficult I also came across a 3 round pin socket with the pins in a straight line which apparently is what is used in Uraguay! (http://www.elect-spec.com/uadapter.htm)

So despite taking adaptors for both American and European sockets I still ended up not being able to charge up the mobile and/or the camera batteries in some hotels!

SM
That should cover you for most eventualities in the hotels that tourists are usually placed in. It will also be handy if you ever have visitors coming to the UK from elsewhere as you could use it as an adaptor for their appliances here too because of the range of holes it has for plugging into it!

SM
To get back on topic, mmmmm Buccanero has it for me every time. Back to Varadero in June and looking forward to bar 16 for a frozen glass and a cold Buccanero. Last time we were there Raul the managers pen didn't work so he took it apart to try to blow the ink down. My Mrs being the typical woman with the suitcase sized handbag pulled out a multi pack of 6 and gave him them. Next round was free.
Not sure about the Mayabe to be honest, but the Cristal was better than ever last year, hope its as good this time :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.