Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
disabled turkey
10 Posts
Hi gocaz,

I got married in Hisaronu in 2007 and my father is in a (manual) wheelchair and coped okay.

The pavements there are much better than they used to be and most bars and restaurants on the ground floor will be accessible. You won't be able to go to the upstairs bars and restaruants (unless your son will let the staff carry him up - which they will all offer to do). The kerbs can be high in places, but there are drops down into the road along the main street in several places so that should be okay.

You may find toilet access a little difficult though, it will depend on how much movement your son has. My dad can move himself in and out of the chair quite easily so didn't find it much of a problem but there aren't really any such things as disabled toilets in Turkey and the doors tend to be quite narrow.

I would check with your hotel that they have a ground floor room that's suitable. We married in the Telmessos and even the ground floor had three steps up to it - so they built a ramp for my dad!
hi thanks so much for your reply
my son is in a power wheelchair and has no mobility, his chair weighs a ton so would be hard to carry him and the chair!
im worried about narrow doors and toiletingxis hisoranu hilly?x
The Telmessos and Marcan hotels are at the top of a very steep hill. As dad is in a manual chair we took turns pushing him up it (going down we just let him go :rofl )

The rest of Hisaronu is on a slight incline, but is not particularly hilly.

I have seen lots of people in wheelchairs there and it is doable, but you shouldn't expect the hotels and restaurants to be *as* disabled friendly as the UK.

There are lots and lots of bars and restaurants on the ground floor of buildings so you don't need to worry about not being able to eat - there will be plenty of choice for you.

It may be worth calling a tour operator and seeing if they can recommend any disabled friendly hotels (with wider doors to the loo). You definitely would not be okay in the Telmessos. Dad had to collapse his chair whilst sat in it to get through the bathroom doors! The actual doors to the rooms and so forth were fine though, so it may just be that that particular hotel has small bathroom doors. He didn't have problems in any of the restaurants we went to.
letting go down hills sounds brill lmao!!
thanxs i ring round a fewxx
Great - let us know how you get on :)
The pavements are very bad in much of turkey, full of deep potholes and to step off them you sometimes have to jump about 18 inches! :yikes no way would a wheelchair user be able to get around hisaronu comfortabley. no way. you would have to walk in the road and that would be really dangerous. you could not use the pavements and you would not be able to get down to the beach, dolmuses and taxis could never get you there, dunno about hotel bus? dont think so somehow. hisaronu is up on a mountain dont forget and it is very hilly in parts and to get dowwn to the beach in olu or fethiye would be impossible without proper transport. the roads and pavements are hazards. :yikes some of the pavements in hisa aint too bad but they might not be the pavements you wanna walk on. most of them are terrible!
thanxs for reply thats what ive been hearing!
I disagree about the pavements. I have pushed a wheelchair on them and they are okay.

I agree about the beach though - it's unlikely you will be able to get down to Olu Deniz so you will be limited to Hisaronu. It's not likely you'd take a motorised wheelchair to the beach anyway though so I guess that's not too much of a problem.
You're biggest obstacle will be your hotel transfer! Booked ages ago and have just learned that my disabled Mum's mobility scooter (may I add a boot scooter - very small) cannot be taken on any Turkish coaches!!!!!!!!!! Law aparently!!! We are going to have to book a private taxi to take us from the Airport. I am fuming - it is scandlous!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.