America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I haven't been to Disneyland, which is a bit embarassing as I work 15-20 mins from Anaheim. But the general concensus seems to be that it's inferior to Disneyworld, so I wouldn't base your entire holiday around it. I have been to both Universal Studios and Magic Mountain and they were decent (if you like roller coasters, Magic Mountain is excellent). They are both within driving distance (that's relative I suppose...Magic Mountain is probably 90 minutes from Disneyland). Universal Studios isn't really a place you'd go to for great rides (it does have rides but they are fairly tame) but it's very interesting and the backlot tour is great.

I know the area quite well so let me know if you have any questions. I can't really help you with the hotel, sorry. As I live in the area, I don't use hotels around here but perhaps others have some recommendations.
I think you may be a little disappointed with DisneyLand though when I visited it I thought it was great but on going to DisneyWorld a few years later I found DW far superior. You won't need more than a day or two at the most to see DL. But with a car you have the chance of visiting lots of other places. I would base my holiday on the beach, maybe Santa Monica and take lots of trips.
You might want to drive down to San Diego or up the coast to Santa Barbara for the day.
Ihave been to DL in Anaheim and going back in June for 2 weeks, and i love it, i will tell you why....

We always stay at the Carousel Inn and Suites, which was booked thru funway holidays..

http://www.funwayholidays.co.uk

The hotel is 2.5* but do not let this mislead you the rooms are far more superior than orlando and look like hotel rooms with everything in it. You receive a free continental breakfast and are right next door to Mcdonalds. There are an array of restaurants to suit everyone and the prices are reasonable. The swiming pool is small on the roof, but it has great views, and is great to come back to after a day at the parks.

The Raddison is further down the road, but in much need of paint, and is very similar to motels in Florida. At the end of the day, its just a sleeping place, but the Carousel Inn and suites is about £17 per night and is less than 30 metres from Disneyland across the road. From the breakfast room on the roof, you can see the monorail and wave to people whilst having your breakfast. it is also the closest hotel you will find to Disney, even the disney hotels you have to get a monorail too.

I loved DL basically because it more or less has the same rides, but is not spread out as much as DW. Indiana Jones the ride although quite old now has to be one of the best in the park. of course it is all spilt into sections as DW, but you dont feel so tired. The Americans are so much more friendly and it isnt over crowded with British people so it really looks as if you are in a different world.

Of course in the year 2000 approx another park adjoined DL called Disneys California Adventure. This park also has Tower of Terror the same ride that is in orlando.

What we usually do is go to the park in the morinng whilst queues are down, then go tot he beaches or shopping etc, then have some free time by the pool then go back to DL at night to see all the parades.

Knotts Berry Farm is also nice to go to, it isnt a farm but about 20 mins on a bus, it has roller coasters and water rapid rides etc.

All of the beaches are good to visit, but the sea is extremely fierce, you will see all the surfers.

Seaworld, and six flags magic mountain for all the roller coasters is excellent.

You can book a lot of trips up at the tourist bureau on the other side of DL, they will have authorised coaches to pick you up, or you can do it yourself by catching regular buses.

Hollywood isnt far away, is a dump, but great to see, and of course beverly Hills, and Rodeo drive which i love.

We are staying 2 weeks in the carousel suites as it also does free kids under 17 years, we have never done everything in two weeks, we get about and go everywhere.

It isnt over commerialised like Orlando, and not full of British and to me that makes a great American holiday, oh nearly forgot, the weather is really hot, and it hardly ever rains, only in the winter months.

I have been to Orlando several times and really enjoyed my stay there, but California i love.

Have a lovely time, if there is anything i can help with, please let me know

Michelle x

edit : my post should have read 30 m from our hotel to Disneyland not 30 m from our hotel to another hotel, sorry :cry:
Thanks for all your info and help. I think it would be a nice break for Easter and my husband and younger daughter want to see the very first Disney and im happy as long as the sun is shining. I love Orlando and we did all the Fright Nights and Howl o Scream last October when we were there. :shock: This would be a much calmer holiday.

I will be back in the future with more questions, thats what i like about this site you always get so much great inside infomation, thanks again. :lol:
Hi all

Going to Vegas in September for 2 weeks. Sometime during the 2 weeks, we are planning to go to Disney Los Angeles. Could someone please tell me where I can pre book tickets? Anyone done this? Was it worth it?

Thanks for your help

Gareth
Have also done this twice, both as a few days stop over to Hawaii. First time in 2000 stayed in the Disney hotel which was lovely. The rooms are huge & minutes from the park.

Visit last year we stayed in the Sheraton Anaheim 5 minutes away & they provide transport to & from Disney for free. Very impressed with the hotel, ate one night in the restaurant & the food was excellent. Can highly reccommend the hotel.

Are you driving yourself out to there from the airport. It is quite a hike I warn you & the freeway is just manic & very confusing. Woukd highly reccommend you get a Sat Nav that you can load a USA map into. Also allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the airport on your return as there are frequent traffic jams !

As to Disney. We find the castle very disappointing compared to the one in Florida. The rest of the park is very nice & similar to MK in Florida. The California Park can be done easily in a day. Make sure you don't miss the Soarin over California ride. It is just stunning ! Tower of Terror is as bad as in Florida. My one & only time !!
Yes to the Sheraton but no to the Californian. It was not built in 2000 when we were there the first time. It was the old original Disneyland hotel. Very sixties looking place but fab inside
Ok, thanks :wink:

Do you by any chance have a link for the hotel please? I'd like to add it to the reviews section if poss.

Pippy :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.