DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
DIY never again!
16 Posts
Hi,I thought all airlines had to pay for accomodation when this happens,weren't Ryanair in trouble because they refused to help passengers during the ash cloud.
Hi Oscarben. Thanks for your reply.

We got through to Monarch eventually the next day on the phone they only reschedualed us for the 8th December. Monarch and Ryanair was the only airlines that didnt have a rep or any help. Easyjet and BMI baby were sorting all their customers out with coaches back to Benidorm Monarch had no one helping we spent 7 hours at the airport waiting for information. I am still discusted with this airline. I have a feeling their going to say that we should have stayed put at the airport but as I say there was no help we just got passed a paper slip to ring the Monarch helpline number by a rude woman in the Iberal office. There was also other Monarch customers in our position that decide to do the same as us and go back. Thomson are very good I know member Sanji had alot of praise for them when she was over their with the ashcloud situation. I keep hoping that Im going to get a letter through the post but so far nothing.
They have 28days to answer a letter,did you send it by registered post,other members of this forum always advise you to do this.If you trawl through older posts about Travel republic you should find posts from somebody who works for them,I don't know how to do links so I can't help you find the post,sorry.I'll see if I can find it and point you in the right direction.T.
Hi Danny ,steved1 is the commercial manager for Travel republic,if you look at the latest page of the post below yours there is a post from him and an address that he has given so that members can contact him,this may help you get sorted.
Thats another thing I didn't send it recorded they probably have just thrown it in the bin and will say they never received any letter. Thats my fault. If I dont get anything today Im writing back and will be sending it recorded.
Hi Danny ,steved1 is the commercial manager for Travel republic,if you look at the latest page of the post below yours there is a post from him and an address that he has given so that members can contact him,this may help you get sorted.

Thanks for that, I did ring travel republic the next morning at the hotel but from what she was saying I dont think it was up to them to cover us. I was relying on using payhones as my mobile was out of credit and couldnt top it up using my card. I spent 20 euros on hold to Monarch.
I dont think there is much you can do when you are not on a package holiday.
My daughter and her family (5 of them) were stranded in Singapore for 8 days last Easter due to the ash cloud and they still havent had any compensation from Singapore airlines.
Their insurance paid them £100 each but it cost them a lot more than this per night as their suitcases were at the airport as they were transit passengers so they had to buy clothes,toiletries etc
I have been tempted many times to book a DIY holiday but now stick to Thomson or Thomas Cook incase that ash comes back again.
Good luck on getting some money back from TR or Monarch.
Thanks Jay.

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter still hasnt had any compensation from them thats terrible especially being that long. I accept that there is a good chance that we also wont get anything back but I just want to warn people doing DIY and especially booking with Monarch Airlines. They are the worst airline I have ever dealt with. Travel Republic I had no problems with the booking of accommodation I recommend them if anyone is considering to use them.

You never think it will happen to you but it did and I paid the cost.

I still haven't got anything from them today so I will be dealing with this.
My friend was stranded in Copenhagen due to the ashcloud (was returning from Athens, but couldn't get any further). This was a DIY holiday, I don't think he's ever booked a package. His insurance paid for the hotel that he stayed in for 2 nights & alternative travel home. He didn't have to deal with the airline at all, they did it all for him.
The key is when doing it DIY to check the insurance cover you get, different things take priority than an insurance you would be happy with for a package, check the clauses for all these situations that a TO would normally deal with for you.
If a package goes to the location & accommodation you want, then use it, but the biggest draw for going DIY is the freedom to go where you want, for however many days suits you.
I hope you get some satisfaction from this soon, but please consider all ways of going on holiday in the future, things go wrong for many on a package too! Just remember the amount of people that go with TOs & DIY & never have any problems, this was bad luck, but it doesn't always have to end that way.
I have done another letter and sent all the photocopied receipts again and yes recorded delivery :tup They cant have an excuse now not to acknowledge it. We shall see what happens.

Danny
Hi. Just an update. I received a cheque today from Monarch but I am not satisfied with the amount so I will be writing a strong letter today to appeal against the amount.
just don't cash the cheque while you are still in dispute.
send it back to them with your reply.
I'm pleased to say that this has now been resolved to my satisfaction and have been paid for the full cost of the accommodation.
Glad you got sorted ,Danny.It's good that you didn't accept the first cheque and persevered with your claim,well done.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.