General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I had to dash in here Graham incase you'd finally flipped :rofl

Sorry I can't help with your dilemma as wine gives me heartburn :(
sorry I'm looking at the wrong post :rofl :rofl
We do wine tasting every year at the campsite we go to in France and there is no facility to spit; the assumption is that you will swallow. We get served cheese on a piece of baguette between the wines so we get to taste different cheese as well.
I am definitely a swallower.

We had great days out going around wineries in Napa Valley and South Africa. I think in South Africa we tried over 20 wines and we still managed to go to the wine hour back at our hotel :cheers
I also went on a wine tasting afternoon in South Africa with 3 wines at the first vineyard and I lost count after 8 wines at the second. I swallowed just about all of the wines, I didn't like a couple as soon as they were in my mouth so I spit them out. I think we had a large basket of bread to eat to clean our palates but I really can't remember, I know I was feeling no pain after about 10 wines.
Clearly my mind was in the gutter :rofl

Have been to a wine tasting evening a few years back and although we were shown how to sniff, swirl and spit, I swallowed - but i hasten to add not in small amounts otherwise I would have got pickled rather quickly
I do wonder if this wasn't a hidden forum just how many views this thread would have had ?? :D
and do NOT come on here to mod after your wine tasting! :rofl
Just popped in and not going to say much until tomorrow, however all I will say is there was no spitting, I am off to bed.
  • Edited by Fiona 2014-05-29 22:52:29
    so it makes sense
I've just had to edit your post - you need to go to your bed!!! :rofl
Only joking ;)
Wine tasting? I had expected a bit of information detailing the particular wines and what we would be looking for in both smell and taste along with matching it to food.

Nothing like this happened, in fact there wasn't even an introduction, we were handed a list and sent off in the direction of the wines of which there were around 50 types on offer.

No spittoons provided so it was down the hatch, some people managed exceptionally well at this, whereas if I don't like a particular wine I just won't drink it.

Try as many wines as often as you like seemed be the order of the day, again some were obviously making the most of that, especially when it only cost £9.99 on one of those 'deal of the day' type offers.

The company I think were hoping for us 'Wine Experts' to place some orders, however when the sales rep can't even tell the difference between a Merlot and a Chablis because she is just filling in for her sister-in-law the opportunity for them was lost and I though the wines were very poor in any case.

I have been to a few wine tasting which have been very professional and the representatives have been knowledgeable and informative, all I can say about last night was that it was just an excuse for a p**s up.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.