Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Welcome Catcat ... the WHAT AIRCRAFT AM I FLYING ON ? topic in our AIRLINES & AIRPORTS forum should provide you with lots of useful info about seating. There are also dedicated topics in that forum for both Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways.

David :wave
Thanks David for replying so quickly, this is the first time i have ever signed up to a Forum but i was so impressed with the info, i gave in.
I will check out the info you sent me. Would be great to hear from someone who has flown with either of them
Catcat
i have flown premium with both and thomson/first choice wins hands down over thomas cook

in fact thomas cook premium was such a waste of extra money last year when we went to puerto plata that we are flying with them in cattle class this year. the only reason we are flying with thomas cook is that thomson/first choice do not go to the resort we chose in mexico!
Thanks so much for that information, really appreciate your feedback :tup
i flew to punta cana with thomas cook and sat economy and we were fine. the tallest in our group being over 6ft!

their economy pitch is 33" on their a330 aircraft which is ample for a 10 hour flight, when you think that european short haul config is usually 28". we chose the seats where the aircraft narrows at the rear as we got more aisle space and to be honest, i'd choose this over premium anyway. all you get extra is 1" more in legroom and slightly wider seats.

im fighting for thomas cook here, they had friendly crew, decent aircraft, lovely crew that we had a laugh with and also offered the cheaper fare.

it also depends what you expect to get. more and more airlines are taking a leaf out of the low cost carriers book and charging for more and more things. if you add up what you pay for an upgrade to what it actually costs to buy the products separately it will save you money.

although i do believe thomsons 767 offer 36" in premium. only flown longhaul once with thomson and was on one of their smaller aircraft (how it made it there i dont know!) it was average and cramp (due to it not being a twin aisle) but an ok experience. used them many times as first choice mid haul and they have been fine.

hope this helps!
Thank you for all the info. Haven't booked flights yet but have lots to mull over. Have a very tall 13 yr old over 6 ft & husband who would moan the whole way if leg room was restrictive. Good to know about the economy 33"
:)
We have done both thomas cook to dom rep and thomson to mexico,thomson wins with us hands down, bigger cabin but better service by a mile.Thomas cook going down the pan big time and the premium cabin alot more expensive than thomson.No contest.
the entertainment is much better on thomson too, more choice of films PLUS games. there are no games to keep the kids (and big kids lol) occupied on thomas cook
I've never joined a group like this before but I'm so thrilled I joined this one...... Thank you for all your comments & feedback but also the fun. I'm away at the moment so using a phone to get messages..... I think we have a 2 -1 in favor of Thompson at the moment. Thanks :cheers
I will add my contribution ...

I've been flying on Premium with First Choice twice (before they merged with Thomson) and it was absolutely lovely, very good seat pitch (36''), great service, nice in flight entertainment (on demand and including games) and very decent food. For a 9 to 10 hours flight, it's quite pleasant ...

This year, I flew with Thomas Cook to Punta Cana. We were massively late due to snow in Gatwick (it was on beg, of January) but the Premium was ok, far less comfortable than First Choice, especially on the way back, we had the hardest seats ever ... Service was ok but nothing to call home for ... In flight entertainment wasn't on demand, that's a massive let down ... When you add Premium to a package holiday, Thomas Cook tends to be cheaper than Thomson ...

Furthermore, Thomas Cook is dropping Premium at the end of next winter season.

I'm flying again Thomas Cook in Jan 2011 but on Economy this time ...

For 2012, I'm hoping to fly with Thomson, possibly to Mexico ...

We shall see...

Hope it helps.

Julmops
Thanks for your contribution, I'll check out all the responses when I get home & make a booking. Hope there will be seats left after all this :cheers
There's just one more thing to bear in mind - Thomas Cook have a nasty habit of subcontracting out flights to other airlines - for example - to Monarch (Sardine Can) Airways.
They did this last winter with flights to Kenya and the complaints from folk were horrific. The rep at the hotel said he'd never experienced anything like it. Beware - check very carefully before booking a Thomas Cook flight - and even then - you might find TC still swap you to something else - just look at some of the stories on the TC airline forum on this website.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.