Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
We were in Croatia in July and loved every minute of it, the view is stunning.

We flew into Split and collected hire car and drove(my boyfriend) to Metokovic along the coast, stayed there two nights and one day of it we drove into Dubronik (not to be missed) then we drove to Mostar in Bosnia and stayed there 3 days and visited Sarajevo, we then drove to Biograd and stayed there 3 days and visited Zadar and Sibenik and then back to Split and handed in hire car (John drove a total of 1388km and loved every minute of it) we then stayed in Trogair for 3 days.

We booked in places before we went but there was quite a few camp sites along the way but do not know about how to book etc, not sure about laybyes etc.

As I said at the start we loved every minute of our holiday and if there is anything specific you would like to ask please do so and I will try and answer.

Linda
Hi Linda

Thanks for your reply sounds like you had a great time. I do have a few questions.

Are the roads busy?
Is petrol expensive?
Any maps you can recommend?

Thanks

Sian
Hi Sian

I can only speak for the south of Croatia where we went the week before last. The roads were fairly slow going, no dual-carriageways in that part and though the volume of traffic wasn't great, it was easy to get stuck behind a coach or slow farm vehicle that caused a tail back. There were generaly no problems but watch out for lunatic drivers who try to overtake over solid lines, blind corners, etc. Off the main coast road the traffic was light.

Petrol was around 75 - 80p litre, so cheaper than here. Car hire was relatively expensive, we paid £31 a day for a group A Fiat Seicento, group B would have been £40 (for 4 to 7 days hire).

It is possible to get cheap accommodation, we paid 40 euros a night for a large aprtment and rooms (sobe) can be even cheaper. Have a look at http://www.dubrovnik-online.com and you'll find 100s.

Dubrovnik was well worth a visit, as was Cavtat. From Cavtat you can get regular boats into Dubrovnik old town, so that is an option and might be easier to stay there and visit in terms of parking. If you do visit Dubrovnik old town in the car, there is parking right beneath the town walls for about 50p an hour - better than risking a parking ticket elsewhere in the town. Parking was not an issue else where.

We got a decent scale map of the area localy, by Fretag & Berndt but it's worth looking at http://www.stanfords.co.uk/ for maps and guidebooks for all destinations. You can buy online and they also have a couple of shops, we visited the one in Manchester and they have all sorts of maps and guidebooks you wouldn't find else where.

Happy planning, Maria
hi

i did a similar thing took 2 yrs off and went off travelling in a motorvan, this was 20 years ago though, so things would have changed since we went, but it was a fantastic experience, after winding our way through a lot of europe we went to croatia in those days it was yugoslavia down to greece, left the motorvan whilst we visited a few greek islands then took the ferry over to cyprus with the van stopped off there and then onto israel where we stopped there and egypt for the winter months, did all the usual site seeing trips, spent xmas day in bethelem, think you need to plan out which countries you want to visit, we decided if we went to a country we wanted to see how the other half lived as well as the famous sites and not just pop into a country for a day or so to say we had been there, hence on the way back we didnt go to all the eastern block, we visited around 20 countries in all but could have seen a lot more if we had done it quickly, i think things are easier now than back then some countries it was difficult to get into, turkey for example we went there in those days it was tricky to get in now its not, i know you will have a great time we did. just be careful we got our van broken into and passports stolen so keep them with you at all times, we also told family which town we were heading for so they could sent us letters via poste restante etc. that was before mobile phones and texting ,ENJOY !!! if i can help you in anyway email me
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.