Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
The maximum alcohol blood level is 0.5mg in Turkey and is lower than the UK. If you are caught drink driving the fines are as follows:
1st offence 448 YTL + suspension of licence
2nd and third offence 561 YTL + suspension of licence

One of the small print clauses on the back of Turkish hire car insurance agreements states that the maximum alcohol blood level is zero.

If you're involved in an accident and have any alcohol in your blood, the insurance company for your hire car won't pay out.

Even if you're only 20% to blame for an accident , you will have to pay for 20% of the total damage to both vehicles.
Hi, I have read with interest your post but have to disagree with the first part.For some time now the Police have not been allowed to take CASH from the people they fine. Or maybe you are just referring to Tourists ? In which case you may be right as I am not sure. It would be useful if you could clarify this.

THXS.

Ian
hi rik
yes you are right this is for tourist in renta cars if you own a car in turkey its different set of laws this item was postedin the fethiye times
hi, Thanks for that.

Ian
Maverick,

Are you going to tell us how much an average year costs you? I'm all agog.
when we were in Side last March we got on the Dolmus back to our hotel and were surprised to see the guy who had a shop at the hotel.He told us his car had been "kidnapped" by the police because it was untaxed.He said he had got away with it for 4 years as every time he got stopped he turned on the waterwaorks and gave them a backhander saying he would tax it tommorrow!The reason he had not got away with it this time was he didnt have enough money on him to give them all(4 police)a backhander!
that sounds like a familar type of story for turkey jay :lol:
RIk if your on a british license you pay the fine on the spot I ussually plead poverty and get away with a good dealş less than the norm couldnt get away with it last week in Gazi Pasha so it cost me 81 YTL which is the 108 YTL discounted for paying straight up.
Hi Bryn. I have both a UK and TK Licence.Never been stopped yet but if I was I would use the UK. one.

If I was in an accident then I would use the TK. one as there is some doubt now as to whether the Insurance co. would pay up on a UK Licence that had been driven on for longer than 6 months continuously.

Ian
Got collared for speeding in Dec.2006 in a trap at Cine. Fine was 102 lira, I was doing 117kmph in 100 limit. I drive a turkish plated car registered to my company on a British licence. The Police would not take my money but gave me a ticket to take to the tax office in the admin area of the car registration within 1 month with of course........the money.
The discount that you guys have been given for paying cash on the spot is not something corrupt as you all seem to think... According to the regulations you get a discount on the fine if you pay it withing 15 days of receiving it. With hire cars, in order to prevent tourists from running off without paying the fine (as mentioned above, the fines get registered on the car registration number) they ask for a payment on the spot. But if you have been given a ticket take it to a bank and pay it straight away and you too will be given a discount.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.