Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
GOOD LUCK! I nearly did it in an old Ford Fiesta years ago but when i returned to the UK for winter i got offered a job too good to miss :D :( .
Still get back for regular holidays but v envious of you :mrgreen: ENJOY!
Cheers matey. I will have an Mythos in an ice-cold glass for ya! :wink:
Good luck Joey watch how you go and take care :wave
Good luck hope all goes well for you, many years ago when on holiday there a London taxi cab driver was touring with his girlfriend on a goldwing motor cycling got odd jobs between them to earn some cash constantley being offered a fortune for his motor bike and just enjoying life. Hope you do the same
Good Luck!
I have done it a few times. If you do it without stopping then 4 days is about the fastest you can make the journey.
Some serious advice though... Pre-book your ferry 2 or 3 days before you get to italy (assuming you are going that way) The easiest to get to is Ancona. If you don't pre-book, you will have to fight your way through 100's of people trying to get a ticket, also there are a lot of 'illegals' trying to get out of italy. Don't be persuaded to give anyone a 'lift' and make sure you keep your car locked whenever you are away from it, and go back to check it regularly.
This time of year the ferry from Ancona to Patras is very busy. You can wait 2 or 3 sailings before you manage to get on - especially with a vehicle.
Getting from Piraeus to Rhodes is a lot easier, there are probably less people trying to get on the boat. If at all possible, avoid G&A ferries. The boats are a 'bit' old and could do with a serious overhall.

One other note on Italy.... don't stop - anywhere! not on the motorways anyway - even for petrol. If you absolutely have to! keep your car locked, don't get drawn into conversations with people trying to 'sell' you something, you will end up being ripped off to the tune of whatever you happen to have with you. - believe me, I know many people who have been conned this way. And driving a foreign vehicle is almost like putting a big neon sign on top saying 'rip me off'

but... it's a great drive :D

sub
got there, did it. It was fairly easy and absolutely no problem in Italy. Stopped off in France a couple of times and through Austria (we went a long way around!) very enjoyable. Cheers for the messages ;)
Hi Joeyc, glad you made it OK.

If you have time I would love to know the route you took and any difficulties you had.

Cheers,

Tom
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.