Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Were they on approach to Newcastle or actually landing at DTV?

I know they handle a lot of corporate flights for businesses based in the region as its a hell of a lot cheaper for them to land at DTV than it is to land at Newcastle
Definately landing at DTV.

I live about 10 miles from the airport near enough directly under the approach from the east, all the aircraft had their undercarriage down and were definately landing.

I live too far away from NCL to notice aircraft on approach there.

Just seems very strange the amount of large aircraft around here recently....apart from Air Force 1 a couple of years back and the 747 freighter that made an emergency landing, we dont normally get to see anything interesting up here!
I may be wrong, but I think MME is used for pilot training. Various airlines use the airport to train their crew for approaches, landing and take off.
Saw another 777 at about 6pm tonight
aren't there a lot of army personnel coming back into the airport from iraq and heading onto catterick at the moment. that may account for larger aircraft
Hello

Just booked a free flight with ryanair for november travelling from durham tees valley to alicante. My flight departs at 9.20 am i live near newcastle city centre. Have checked the web for travel details to get to the airport on the day of the travel first train of the day is 0.600 hours gets me there for 6.45 this is too darlington train station. Then the first skyexpress bus is at 7.00 takes 30 mins to get to airport so thats 1hr 50 mins before flight takes off. Anyone got any better ideas on transport links for early morning going to try my best to blag a lift down there does anyone know how far durham tees valley is from newcastle and how long would it take to get there by car thankyou in advance for your help
probably take about 1 hr depending were you live in newcastle
TEESIDE AIRPORT - Very small airport has one train service per week. Ha thats not much use is it? A few local bus services. A WH Smiths, a Bar, some other shops. Onur air fly from here to dalaman. Hope this helps. Oh and there is about 3 check in desks open usually so its not very busy.
  • Edited by RobNKayl 2008-11-17 12:31:39
Coming from the Boro we used Teesside (as it will always be to me) an awful lot and my Dad worked in the Middle East so always caught flights to Heathrow from there and back in again. I've always thought it a great little airport, there's no chance of getting lost, taking a wrong turning or ending up at the wrong departure gate.

We've not flown from there for about 5 years now as we live in Newcastle and Newcastle Airport is on the doorstep (I know which I'd rather fly from and it isn't Newcastle) but I know I was looking for holiday's with flights from Teesside for my parents this summer and I was seriously shocked by the reduced number of holiday flights coming out of Teesside compared to previous years.

There was virtually zero choice and my parents ended up flying from Newcastle and it's such a shame as they would far rather fly from Teesside.

Catherine - my parents used Maron Taxi's in Middlesbrough and paid either £40 or £45 each way for a taxi to the airport (can't remember which) - be warned tho' I tried many taxi places in Newcastle and the prices quoted varied between £60 and £90 each way!!!!!!!!!

Tis
Oh and there is about 3 check in desks so its not very busy.
Dunno which bit you went to but there were about 15 last time I was there! As has been said, currently in the final stages of a rebuild including new terminal. New road links and flyover fot the A66 are complete and open to allow much larger volumes of traffic in and out.

Re the larger aircraft coming and going, it could be pilot training as someone said as Teesside being a former bomber base has a very long runway (they even put Concorde down once!) Or it could be airlines familiarising themselves for future new routes.
It always used to be the case that Teesside had a longer runway than Newcastle - not sure if that's still the case and there has never been just 3 check-in desks - even going back to the 1970's - there's a handful on the right as you go into the terminal and the rest are on the left hand side and I'd have said there was at least a dozen.
Yes, I'd actually reckon on nearer 20 desks but wasn't sure. The above post was pretty misleading, I reckon Teesside is one of the most efficient airports I've used.
I used to live right bang in the middle (distance wise) of Newcastle and DTV and I'd always preferred DTV

Sadly, now moved up into Northumberland and I'm still avoiding Newcastle by using Edinburgh but I can't sing the praises of DTV enough. A very friendly airport that has just enough of the things you want and a generally pleasant experience

One thing I've noted lately is that the supplements to fly out of DTV are soaring and the flight times are getting pretty poor too
There may be 10 or more check in desks. But the simple facts are there is never more than a flight an hour. In winter the airport has very little traffic.
I don't think anyone is doubting the fact that it is a smaller and quieter airport than some.

But like your previous comments about check-in desks, I think you may also be under-estimating the volume of flights. Whilst there are some quiet spells, there are also periods of the day when there are at least 6 or 7 passenger flight arrivals and departures per hour.

You mentioned previously that there is a flight to Dalaman. There could be as many as 30 other scheduled and chartered flight destinations from the airport that you haven't mentioned.

You say that there is only one train per week. If true, that is still one train per week more than there is to Glasgow Airport, which is a major international airport.

Durham Tees Valley Airport may be quiet compared to some, but perhaps not quite as quiet as you appear to think or suggest.

David :wave
There may be 10 or more check in desks. But the simple facts are there is never more than a flight an hour. In winter the airport has very little traffic.

The simple fact is you are making your facts up! There are plenty more than one flight an hour, it has way more check in desks than you quote and if we're being picky, it doesn't have a train station! The nearest one is Darlington which then requires a bus journey. People visit sites like this for help and advice and spouting 'facts' that are made up does not help anyone.
It's a shame Thomson have stopped flying to Alicante from it next year, I know globespan do but I prefer to package with Thomson.
ryan air........are now flying to alicante from teeside
HI, There has been a rumour that from 2009 there will be NO FLIGHTS to Alicante from Teesside airport.I contacted the airport last night and they wouldn't confirm the rumour I have been on several holiday company websites trying to book for Benidorm (via Alicante of course) from Teesside and they all say NOTHING is available. All they offer is Newcastle.This is the first time this has ever happened so I'm guessing the rumour is true. A family member also heard a whisper about this from a travel agent employee.If this is true it is devastating news.It was so convenient to go from Teesside and the flights were always full.. Getting up to Newcastle is not cheap.It's just beyond you why they would do this.
Does anyone know anything about this please?
Liam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.