Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
:arrow: Has no one been recently??

any one know what was carried out in the refrub?

or does any one know the Hotels Website address??

Thaks
Rick, we're booked in for August. the website is http://www.theixiangrand.gr
Thanks for that... it looks good!! i cant wait!!
Hi there!!

Has any one stayed here since the refurb????

Cheers :D
We are going on 14/6. Will let tou know when we get back if you have not allready been
Please does anyone know what tour operator's this hotel can be booked through?
:oops: Just answered my own question by looking on the hotel review bit of HT, should of thought of that before I posted. It's First Choice.

Edit to say: Can't find it on FC web-site for either 2006 or 2007 :hmmm
hi i myself hav put up a question/ im stayin at the sirene beach hotel in ixia but dnt seem find any reviews on it, all ive heard is its been refurb im off this wed and just hope its all fin my first time abroad aswell but no one seems to know any thing about it oh well just have to have my hol and ill get back and put a review up myself thanx hope you have a good holiday 8)
Doepsmc - the accomodation code is 9027. Type that into the "fast booking" field on the left of the home page, and Voila!
All... I have just read a review off a different advisor for trips sites... '-(

THE BELOW IS THE LATEST POST REGARDING THE IXIAN GRAND HOTEL... Please if any one has been there please can you advise if the below is a true statement to reflect the hotel... further opinions will be good....

its a long one... ( i hope the person that wrote the review does not mind me posting this)

PLEASE ADVISE....

Thanks

Please be aware this review is mainly about this hotel in particular but has no bearing on the island of rhodes in general or in fact the resort of Ixia as we moved to a different one the 2nd day so saw nothing of the resort itself.

My boyfriend (27yrs) and I (24yrs) arrived at this hotel having had a very pleasant flight with First Choice Airways. We found that our tickets were for the premium cabin which was an unexpected pleasure with extra legroom and complimentary drinks. We had been told there was a baggage handlers strike at Rhodes airport and there may be a delay with our luggage, but despite this we got all our bags quickly and were efficiently dispatched onto our transfer coach very soon after landing.

When we reached the hotel, on first entering the lobby it looks impressive and the check in is handled very efficiently by the reception staff. All the new guests are invited to sit down and have a cool drink whilst the passports are filed away (as they are retained by the hotel for the suration of the stay). The drink however is an extremely sweet orange juice and I couldn't stomach it. The room keys are brought over to where you are sitting by a receptionist and the meal times are explained and the use of the all inclusive cards.

We then went up to our room and were waiting with bated breath as to what we would find. We had expected a minimum of a 4 star hotel from the First Choice brochure and had also checked out the pictures on the hotels own website which made it look very luxurious and was classed by them as a 5 star. Because of this we had been looking forward to the holiday for months. The hotel had been advertised as having had an upgrade changing from the Elina to the Ixian Grand.

What we found on entering the room was what I would consider to be a 2 star plus room at a push. The furniture was of the most basic design possible, the room was very dark and dingy even with all the lights on. The bathroom floor still had the last guest's hair all over it, there was mould around the edge of the bath, the shower curtain rail was rusty and the grout from around the mirror frame had all come out. The TV in the room was a tiny 14 inch one in the corner of what was quite a large room with 3 single beds. When I peeled back the covers of one of the beds, I discovered about 10 ANTS running around it! We had booked a sea view room and paid extra for this. When we opened the curtain we found that if you walked out onto the balcony and peered around the corner leaning over, you could see the sea, but that was as far as it went. Also there was no furniture on the balcony at all.

We immediately went downstairs and spoke to the lady in charge at the reception desk. Whilst she sympathised that we were very clearly unsatisfied at this, she said she was unable to do anything about it until the manager came in at 8pm. After a tired day's travel having got up at 5am we were very upset. The lady told us that the rooms shown on the website were pictures taken of their brand new Ixian Grand suites, and one other room that had the new bed sheets used to take the pictures taken away afterwards! All they had done to "upgrade" the rest of the rooms was replace the carpets with tiled floors, which they had clearly not cleaned properly in our room! So in fact although the main hotel could be considered a 4 star by some despite being a little worn in areas, the only part of it that definitely was were the new suites, and the rest hadn't been upgraded for years!

We refused obviously to stay in the first room due to the ants, and phoned the first choice office in resort straightaway. Our rep very kindly came straight to us after her final drop off from the airport which took about 45 mins. We tol her everything and showed her the room. The hotel was so fully booked however they could not find us another room with a sea view, but said in the morning there were some departures so one would be available then. We consented to this as there was nothing else to be done, despite us desperately wanting to get unpacked and feel settled.

The second room was of a similar poor state as the first, but was smaller! There was a smell on entering the small lobby area containing a sofa bed which led into the main room via another door. Luckily after closing the door the smell did not get through, so I'm assuming the smell came from the musty old sofa. It was slightly cleaner in the room, but it was a good job I'd had a shower the morning we left as I refused to use the bath. By boyfriend did though and found that the shower attachment was broken which was why it had been laid in the bath itself, and the soap tray was hanging off. I later found that the toilet did not flush and we had to take the top off and manually pull the cistern to get it to work. The balcony door would not lock and we made sure we locked our cases up before going down to dinner.

We went down to the restaurant, which the a la carte aside was the only one. I have to admit that from the outside the a la carte did look nice as it had also had a refurb. the main restaurant however is still very dated and looks very 80's. The food was warm enough, but there were no labels at all saying what the dishes were, only a picture of either fish, chicken, cow, pig etc. The food I had was passable but nothing great, which by thispoint I had expected. We had one drink in the bar but were so disheartened and tired by this time that we then went up to bed. We did briefly watch the animation team which involved getting kids up on the stage todance, which was followed by bingo, but that was when we then left.

The main indoor bar is the only one inside and is right next to reception and there is no separation of the two making it feel a very large and unintimate space. There is a pool bar by the outside pool under a big dome which makes it look very fancy in the website and brochure pictures but in reality needed a lick of paint. Behind the dome is the area where the animation is done and most of the evening entertainment appears to be outside here. The only other eating/drinking area is by the Big blue pool, but we didn't get to use this. The Big blue area is where all the sunbeds are which leads down onto the beach and it looks very nice and relaxing - its a shame the rest of the place doesn't match up to it.

So after our disappointing first day the hotel still tried to appease us by showing us a third room with a sea view. The view itself was beautiful but alas the room was of the same standard as the others and also had a broken patio door lock, so we therefore asked to be moved as the hotel did not have any further rooms available.

We were told by First Choice that only one other hotel in Ixia had rooms available which was the four star Cosmopolitan hotel. It was also a half board which we decided to look at and see if it was any better, if so we'd have been willing to forego our all inclusive deal. However on arrival it was no better, still no sea view and that hotel we considered a 3 star which the Rep we ended up with agreed with as well. The room was also a smoking one and we'd requested a non-smoking one. We called First Choice office back from here and they called us back within half an hour and said there were rooms at the Esperides Beaah hotel which was a 4 star all inclusive in Faliraki.

We weren't entirely happy about changing resorts particularly as we had to pay for all the taxis to get there but they said we could be reimbursed back in England if we kept the receipts. we hadn't known this from the first journey to the Cosmopolitan and were a bit annoyed with them for not telling us as we'd forked out 7 euros to go a mile down the road. We paid another 17 euros to get to the Esperides Beach. When we got there the room that showed us was lovely but the hotel was very much a family one whereas the Ixian was more older couples which is what we had wanted in the first place. The grounds were much more geared towards kids activites and we didn't want this. We asked to go back to the Ixian as we had been told if we didn't like the other hotels available we could go back there. First choice had not yet given them the paperwork to release the room, but despite this the hotel staff had given our room away to someone else and said there were no more available. We were baffled by this as everyone there had clearly booked their rooms, so we can only assume they had someone conveniently turn up that day on the off chance!

However we ended up staying at the Esperides Beach because although it was not what we had wanted it was an acceptable 4 star and I will add a separate review for it. all in all a bad start to the holiday, but the rep at the Ixian, Hannah is a lovely girl, whih had unfortunately just started in the job but she was very helpful to us. The only further problem we had was that the First choice coach transfer failed to pick us up on the way back. Apparently we should have been told that as we'd changed hotels we should have booked a taxi but we were in fact told that the coach would know to pick us up at a different hotel! However it all worked out in the end and we got the to airport in time for the flight and the money for that taxi was refunded by the rep at the airport.

Sorry for the length of this review! But hope it helps anyone planning to book here. If you don't mind what sort of accomodation you end up in and are purely going for the sunshine and to see a lovely island then go ahead!

Thanks for reading
I have spent a bit on this hoilday so i hope this is a bad report... I have paid to upgrade my room to a Large Family room non sea view - so anyone which has stayed in them please add feedback... Im sure as the season is now hitting off we can get so post on here... Im going there 01/07/2006. - Cheers
  • Edited by Rick_tay 2006-06-07 10:39:43
I have got quite a lot iof cash in this hoilday so i hope this is the only bad report i hear... ... I have paid to upgrade my room to a Large Family room - non sea view - so anyone which has stayed in them please add feedback... Im sure as the season is now hitting off we can get so post on here... Im going there 01/07/2006. - Cheers

below is the info from the website regarding the Accommodation so i cant see how they can false advetise....

The honey- coloured main building with verdant aisles features 122 elegantly furnished Standard Guestrooms, with either sea view or garden view, 28 Superior Family rooms with two separated bedrooms accommodating up to 2 adults & 2 children or 3 adults, and 4 new Corner Suites with living area, Jacuzzi in the bedroom, CD/DVD player and afternoon turn down service.

Cheers
Sounds scary - where was the report posted?
Any idea when they travelled as there are several reports about, but some relate back to several years ago. Generally all the reports I have read up to now seem to be good.
Posted 2 days ago... - travelled around them dates i guess... theres no email address to ask further questions...

see below -

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g227883-d292642-Reviews-The_Ixian_Grand_ex_Elina_Hotel-Ixia_Rhodes_Dodecanese.html
Thanks for the code doomhanger. There is something odd going on as when I try to price this for summer 07 (and 06 for that matter) the FC website says it's having technical problems. But it is letting me price anything else I look at. :hmmm

Must admit I was seduced by the pics on the hotels web-site. The ones FC have on theirs (I can get that far, just not to the price!) are not so good, and rooms do look basic. Also I picked up the FC Greece brochure and the picture in that makes the room look basic. I suppose the hotel web pictures must be of the Grand Suites refered to in the review.

I would imagine that review is from tripadviser, I think I need to do a bit more research.
Hi Rick
We're posting at the same time.

Most of the other reviews are good, perhaps the poster had an unrealist expectation of what greek hotel rooms are like.
well i have just been looking on the Ixia Grand site and the rooms all look different.. ie different beds and size.. so i would guess that them rooms have been refurb'ed..

i have been reading a lot of reviews over the last few weeks... theres a few Dutch sites which say its ok... but mention the rooms again... (used the translator)

if any one has any more info please post..

(in regards to booking..... the time im going is fully booked up and it wont bring the hotel up as all the flights are full)

I have got the First Choice "2007" Greece brochure which has got the old photos in... however i have got the Cadogan Holidays brochure which has got all refurb'ed rooms with sea views.

http://www.cadoganholidays.com/cdglive/AniteNextPage.asp?p=BROCLIST&s=414380

Cheers
no updates from anyone??

Cheers

...........................................................................................................
THIS IS NOW A 2 PAGE ...........................................................................................................FORUM.......................................................................................................................................
  • Edited by Rick_tay 2006-05-25 14:58:13
Rick - had a look on vakantiereiswijzer (I assume that's the Dutch site you were talking about) and on routard.com (a French site); the posts generally seem upbeat, although there seems to be only 1 barman most of the time! The rooms are mentioned, in that it seems not all rooms have been refurbished yet. The Dutch site has a few moans about breakfast, and 1 post claims only 1 restaurant open (early season?) but no-one else picked up on it.
The average ratings on the Dutch site are good (7/10), with service scoring least - that lone barman, I guess!
All in all, the reports are fairly constant, and while it may not be a (UK) 5 star, I can't say I'm particularly worried having read these reports. the bulk of them are positive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.