America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
ESTA Help
13 Posts
The ESTA is an electronic document and no hard copy is needed. You can print one off for your own records, but it is not required at Border Control. If they want another copy they just need to log onto the ESTA site with their passport number and a few personal details if they don't have the application number.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

They can updated their fight and accommodation details if they wish, but it isn't mandatory. Only the information marked with a red * is mandatory.

Make sure they use the link above and not one of the sponsored links at the top of Google results as these are for outside agencies who charge a fee and are not the official site.

I'm interested why it was taken off them in resort and by who? We have been asked by Border Control whether we have an ESTA and when I offered to show the copy I had, I was told it wasn't necessary as all the details were on the computer.

The only situation where they would need a new ESTA is if their passport has been replaced since making the original application.
It was taken off them by their resort. Not sure why.

So if they go onto the website they can just retrieve it and that'll be good for next year for them?

They had printed it as they had never been to USA before and weren't sure of how to go about it.
As I said, they don't even need to print it off, it's electronic, it's not necessary to print it off.

Provided they are certain that it is still valid and hasn't expired they don't need to do anything.
Okay I'll let them know.

Will they have to change the accommodation details etc? Everything else is the same on it, they travelled in Oct 2011, and going back June 2013.
Please re-read my first post.
Never noticed that the first time I read it!

Thanks for all your help.
There is no obligation to even fill in the accomodation part and it does not matter if the next trip is to a different place. When the 'Homeland security' (other wise known as the Gestapo) scan the passport it will say that they have a valid ESTA. They last for 2 years and the US people will email you just before it runs out so that you can renew if necessary (make sure you still check the email address you were using 2 years ago).

I can't understand why it was taken off them in resort.
I'm not sure either, but I have directed my mum to this thread, so hopefully it will help her.

Also when she phoned them today they said her esta runs out soon yet my dads is valid next year!

And she uses the same email address, so thats not a problem.
Get her to log onto the ESTA site and check for herself.
She tried on there and couldn't see anything to help her. Also if she wasn't having difficulty trying to find out information I wouldn't have asked for help. But thanks for your input!
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_cDD6158C7-1BF2-6D34-E87A-FACE922CB10D_k6EFBA7B4-1FC0-9941-66D6-E6B618152D16

Look in the green box right hand side. Click on the 'retrieve your application number ' put in the details and see what it says.
I tried suggesting that, but the OP said it didn't help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.