Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Extreme railways
11 Posts
Missed it. Was in Goa! Hopefully it will be repeated at some point.

Was it any good?
My computer falls over everytime I try to click on the link to the show! I'll have to wait for the repeat.
I enjoyed it although you did't see much of Goa. However, it was interesting to hear how hard it was to put the line down and, considering the problems they faced, how quickly they did it! That's Indians for you. We could learn a few lessons from them!
I thought at times Chris looked very uncomfortable, as in wide open eyes,....we all know that feeling when on an overnight journey.
I enjoyed it, we have done the Mumbai to Goa journey.
Like Candybabe says you don't see much of Goa but it was still a very interesting program.

I didn't actually realise that it was a fairly new line. Apparently, us Brits had laid lots of railway lines across India but had shied away from the South Western side because of how the land lies.

It was really interesting to hear from some of the people who had been involved in the building of it, the obvious pride (rightly so) they had was pretty emotional.

They said (I think) that they had to negotiate with 48,000 separate land owners for the right to go through their land!

For me it was slightly spoiled by the poor presenting skills of Chris Tarrant.
He had no empathy with the people he was talking to and, at times, no interest in them either.

I more recently watched Michael Palin in Brazil and Joanna Lumley about Noah's Ark and, to me, that really showed up Tarrant's shortcomings.
I missed the other 2 programs as we were in Goa but I was talking to a friend last week and she said she thought he was poor too.

'Sort-of' on topic - if you ever get chance to watch a BBC series of 3 programs called Indian Hill Railways, do!

Such lovely stories about people making their living on these 3 railways and the scenery is fabulous. I bought my OH the DVD.
I've seen those ones Polly. A real eye opener! I enjoyed seeing the working and living conditions. What about the loads the porters carried!!!

I saw the Brazil programmes too, and I agree, Michael Palin, at times seemed truly humbled, and truly excited by what was presented to him.

I tried watching the Micheal Woods ones on The History of India. Bored me to tears!!.
At risk of going :offtop . I quite enjoyed the Michael Woods' ones, mainly because of the content rather than his presenting skills (he is a bit boring, I agree).

I learned quite a lot about India that I'd not known before - especially the later programs.

Remember the lady whose job was to carry cases up that hill?
Now that's what I call hard work! :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.