Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
I'm sure Areias de Sao Joao is classed as Albufeira as my friend has stayed in Sao Joao.
Just Googled Porta da Vila in Lagos and it says 500 metres up a hill from the main street in Lagos??? Seems very central. Also plenty of reviews on tripadvisor(which seem very favourable). Try calling First Choice as they may have directions as they use these apartments.

Lummie ;)
Sorry, meant to add reviews on here also but no real indication of where they are :duh
I am looking at a printed map of Lagos.

The Largo das Portas da Vila and Rua Porta da Vila are just within the city walls on the southern side of the city - ie the opposite end to the Marina and close to the fire station. Unfortunately my map does not indicate the one way streets and pedestrian only streets, of which there are many in the old part of Lagos, so the final act of getting there might be interesting,

My instinct is to follow the N125, which is the broad 'esplanade' down by the river, follow it past the little fort and up the hill to the fire station, turn right and through old walls.

On Googlemaps, zoom right in to Lagos and spot where the N125 does a big, sweeping loop away from the river. You will see 'Urbanizacao Porta da Vila clearly marked. And some one-way streets, though whether they are current I cannot recall.

So your destination is around there somewhere!
From town, turn right off the Avenida ( the waterfront road ) at the Henry the Navigator statue; having passed the paved area in front of the statue, bear left and, at the first set of traffic lights, turn right. Then follow this road, past the police station, up the hill 'til you are faced with a building named Casa Paula directly in front of you at the junction; turn right here and follow the street ( Rua Miguel Bombarda ) uphill past the Cruz Vermelho ( Portuguese Red Cross ) building. Take your next turn on the left and you'll find Porta da Vila on your left.
I am assuming that you won't be driving anything larger than a medium-large saloon or estate car as the roads in the old part of town are narrow; if this is not the case you'll need an alternative route ( as per cubsur's recommendation but I can give you a little more detail ) - just shout.
Wow - thanks to everyone for their help.

Much appreciated... :)
Following sagres directions possibly an easier route would be

Drive along the main AVENIDA (waterfront road to the far end of Lagos where it starts to climb a hill on a short curve .At the top of this slope you will see a fire station on the right hand side,turn right down the side of the station and you will be met by a little square area where the road splits.most people park their cars there The Porta Da Villa is on the right hand side - just a sold pannelled door - green the last time we were there - this opens into the small reception area with all the apartments leading off it
Lovely relaxing place with a small pool and a great suntrap about a 7 minute walk into Lagos a lot longer walking back up the cobbled streets

the locals tend to park their cars both sides of the street so as sangres says hope you have a small car if you drive around the cobbled areas !
Having just returned I can tell you that rabrowns route is best because the road upside the police station is currently no entry because of work going on. So drive all the way along the Avenida (river/sea on left) up the hill keeping in righthand lane and turn right just before the fire station (you will see an old fire engine out the front). Porta da Villa is at the end on the right hand side.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.