General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
First Aid Kits?
21 Posts
I usually make up my own kit consisting of elastoplasts,antiseptic wipes,bandage,painkillers,imodium and antihystermines.Cant say that I have ever needed them but best to be safe.
I agree with dimree in that making up your own kit is the best policy. For bandages I would include a couple of crepe bandages. Dont go overboard on your equipment.

I dont know what the medical facilities are like in Cuba so I would have a quick word with the travel agent or local pharmacy / doctors to see if it would be worth while investing in a Medical kit (about £15) as this would include skin closures, needles and syringes. Sounds extreme but at least you are reassured that if needed then the equipment is sterile.

As for taking it on a plane, you will only have problems if you put it in hand luggage as scissors/needles etc will be taken off you. Also if you have a medical kit ensure it is clearly marked.
As far as I'm aware....if you're carrying syringes etc. the medical kit has to be sealed...once seal broken you have to get new first aid kit! Worth checking out..thats what we were told before we went backpacking Thailand last year! Think we got ours from Boots...it has intravenous lines in it too! (or may have been Millets??- brain gone awol!) :lol: :lol:
Agree with previous posters. Well worth making up your own kit. You know what you may need and works out cheaper than buying one with bits you will not not need. As stated, I would put this in your hold luggage, esp sharps. I apologise if this doesn't make sense, been out to a do tonight.
Hi
Just make up your own kit with plasters, savalon,paracetemol, wipes etc.
If you look in places like Boots you can either purchase travel kits or at least have a look to see whats in them and this could give you an idea of what to put in your own.
As long as any sharp items like scissors,syringes(unless for medical reasons needed on board eg diabetic)tweezers are in your hold luggage its fine to take.
Hope this helps
Goalover
Being someone involved in adventerous activities I have to carry a kit. I found that shop bought kits were a waste of time. I have always made up and carried a kit appropriate for what I am doing and change it to suit.
You need to think what YOU need and take accordingly - when I ran Scouts it was difficult to get the message across about this. Mum would always go to Boots and buy a kit. There were times when it was just excess baggage.

fwh
Hi FWH,

The standard first aid kits are no damn good, no sticking plasters for heaven's sake. I take my own in a box, which includes things for taking boy scouts out of horses hooves, and enough for major heart surgery.

Every year when I am 'supervising the packing', I get earache about taking "that bloody box" from 'er indoors, but just ignore it.

I mean, a corkscrew amongst other things is downright essential!!

Best wishes,

Peter
And what about the bottle of Brandy - medicanal use only of course.
More seriously though when I used to taeach first aid it was interesting to find out what kids used to think was essential. When we used to inspect first aid kits the number of banadages they had was wonderful. Think some intended to bandage a mummy. Economy size bottle of Dettol. More elastoplast than they had in stock at Boots.

fwh
Brandy works wonders! It is fab for bad stomach aches, mixed with hot water, but then again, if that fails, if you have loads, it will numb the pain!

I went to the Sol Cayo Coco in 2003, and brought 2 first aid kits. One was in the main luggage with scissors, large bottles, lots of plasters (With extra tape, it doesn't stick well in the heat) tweezers and pain killers.

I had a small kit in my hand luggage, with a few plasters in case needed on the plane. Small tube of anti-septic, burn ointment, Aloe Vera (Miracle stuff, available in Holland And Barret) for during the flight. (It's also a great treatment for eczema and sunburn) Also in the small bag, any medicines you normally take. I've got asthma, and take a preventer as well as a reliever in case there is a delay, and of course good old asprin, which also prevents blood clots during the flight. Keep everyone's medicines together, with spares in case you lose them.

Don't take scissors, or tweezers on board. My mum got hers confiscated from her hand luggage, and we went 2 weeks without scissors.

Also, be careful in cuba not to get any cuts. My mum dropped a glass on day 2, and the wound didn't heal up for the 2 weeks due to the heat.

Where abouts in Cayo coco are you going? It's a fantastic place, I've been twoce, and am going to Cayo Guillermo in June. :D
A lot of good sense has been spoken here. Might I just add, make sure you have enough prescription medication to cover you during the holidays and for a few days over so that you don't need to worry about flight delays.

I would also take gauze - better than tissues or cotton wool for cleaning bites, cuts and other little bleeders - because it doesn't disintegrate and can serve as a barrier for sore skin so that plasters don't have to stick directly to the broken skin.

I also suggest a bit of salt and sugar (sachets) to add to bottled water to make rehydration fluid if you get the runs .....

Antiseptic wipes can be safer to put in your luggage than a bottle of dettol ... and baby wipes can be used anywhere to make you feel a bit cleaner when you're a bit sweaty from long-haul flights!

And don't forget adequate insurance BEFORE you travel!
Yes good insurance is so important! Last year my dad discovered he has type 2 diabetes a week before we were due to go to Paris. I told him his usual insurance needed changing. From the lists on here we tried Marks&Spencers who after speaking to his doctors to check sugar levels insured him for the break - they were really helpful! He was fine during the break (despite his liking for chocolate croissants :roll: )

I took a mini home made kit to Malta - had such bad food poisoning we called a doctor who went to give me an injection without gloves - was suprised when i gave him a pair of disposable gloves! was glad i did as i saw he had an uncovered cut on his hand and it took him several attempts to find a vein :shock:

Alison :D
Will be going back to Majorca next year, been twice before but never really taken first aid kit other than the usual paracetalmol. What items have you taken that you did not take the first time round through experience?
If you like the ultimate first aid box....without taking your local GP :lol:
Kool'n'Soothe sheets - great for high temps and if little ones bump their heads and won't let you near them with an ice pack.

We also take calpol sachets & antispectic wipes & after bite as well as the usual stuff.
tablets for tummy upsets- saves all that embarrassing miming in the pharmacy!
plasters and antiseptic
neurofen
mosquito repellent and after bite lotion
needle, cotton, sellotape

(luckily not needed most of these things but better safe than sorry!)

Oh- one I just discovered this year, temporary tooth filling!
Bottle of tea tree oil goes everywhere now.
Plasters and a small bandage.
painkillers are a must for kids aswell.
Canesten cream (Small tube) even if you only use it for athelets foot!
diacalm tablets for very bad tummy upsets.
throat sweets, antiseptic & anethetic. ( i get tonsilitus alot)
anti hystermines
gaviscon tablets
deep heat
anti septic cream
needle and cotton
dressing pad
I also got a very cheap kit from a £1 shop and that has everything for a day out!
Moved to general hints and tips by Biff
I always take Piriton both for adults and children over 1 year old.
Its great if you get bit/stung, if you get a reaction to the sun or anything else. It is also a god send when kids have chicken pox, it takes away the itch for them.
I also make sure that i have a small pot of vaseline with me at all times, my 3 boys are prone to cuts/grazes/splits, i use this as a barrier to cover the area from dirt until i can get to the doctor or hospital.

Loulou
Hi Loulou what form is the Piriton in?

Keep the tips coming...Love this Forum

Many Thanks To All 8)
Plasters
Tweezers
Ibuprofen
Allergy Tablets (like Piriton 98p from Tesco)
Antihistamine Cream
Diocalm
Antacids

Thats my basic kit at the mo...but can you tell me where sells cheap Canestan cream....just in case :oops: :) At some places its just too expensive to buy 'just in case'...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.