Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
First Time Japan
10 Posts
Hi and welcome to HT! Sorry I can't help but I may have to start looking as well as OH is fretting as there is now a sixth marathon major and he needs to do it!
Hi guys.. I was fortunate enough to spend the best part of a month in Japan, working at the football World Cup in 2002 and its a fantastic country to visit. It would take me forever and a day to describe it all here so I'll try to dip in and out as time and memory permit.
But first off, don't rule anything out. Tokyo is the obvious and good place to start, an incredible city with lots to see and do, from the shops to the sightseeing, the mini Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty.. we spent a pleasant afternoon down by the latter on Tokyo Bay. There's also Disney Land and Disney Sea, the latter being the more interesting if you are so inclined.The best way to see Japan is by train and I am sure you know the reputation for comfort and punctuality they enjoy. An experience in themselves. Back then we were able to buy a rail pass in advance which saved us hundreds of pounds, so check if these are still available.
Outside Tokyo, hop off the train and stop over at places like Kyoto, again its reputation goes before it; likewise Hiroshima. Do not go to Japan without visiting this incredible city, it is jiving, and the history and realisation you get from being on the ground where it happened will take your breath away.
Mt Fujiama has to be on any itinerary and we also spent a pleasant overnight in a seaside city called Fukuoka though that was before the tsunami.
We also flew up to Sappora for a game but there isn't really much to see so save your air fare for day to day living. Japan was expensive in some ways, chiefly alcohol and taxis, and similar to the UK in others, eating out and shopping for clothes etc; you will find the electrical goods both cheaper and ahead of what we have here. Or use the money to fly to one of the Pacific islands, we went to Okinawa and were overwhelmed by both the hospitality, the beauty and the history.
Again, the airfares were cheaper when purchased outside the country, prior to arrival.
The people everywhere were fantastic, very friendly, if reserved; always helpful and extremely honest.
Crime against the person is practically non-existent, though there have been some highly publicised extreme cases in recent years. Just take care there, the way you would here, and you'll be alright.
It is actually like being in two different countries; Tokyo being in many ways almost American-ised and the more traditional Japan existing outside the capital. Hope that helps for now... be back if and when I think of more.
Thanks Jim. Sounds like you fell in love with the place :) OH has been but many, many years ago and only because he was in the merchant navy at the time. I would love to go but hadn't researched it as I thought it might be too expensive.
It is expensive, to get to, and when you get there, but all things are relative to the experience and what price you put on a once in a lifetime experience. I brought home more than souvenirs, too, the visit to the Hiroshima Peace Park and museum having left a lasting effect. I'm also conscious that folk of a older generation may have a quite different perception of Japan and its people from their own historic experiences, including a late uncle of mine who landed in 1945 with the US military. All I can say is what I said to him before his passing, that the Japan of today, and its people, are unrecognisable from the images and perceptions my generation grew up with so I was glad I went. I might add there is no attempt by the Japanese to airbrush history. Do go, if you get the chance (I was lucky, too, to go to South Korea on the same World Cup jaunt... highly recommend there, too, when it all settles down again, as it will... vastly different, much more Asian and as much as the Japanese are generally reserved, the Koreans are totally outgoing... the Irish of Asia, we joked, so no wonder we felt at home)
Thought I had posted already but its not showing. Good to see you back and posting Jim.
Cheers, usually hibernate over on the Costa del Sol forum... mention of Japan awoke me from my slumbers
Only just come across this and was wondering if the original poster had managed to make the trip. My eldest grandson is there now, having flown out the day after Uni broke up and won't be back in the UK until just before his course starts again. This is about his sixth visit in the past few years as he is doing Japanese studies at SOAS so will spend the third year of his course out there. During this trip he has been checking out the various universities and rather fancies the one at Fukuoko. He travels round on the trains and internal flights and cuts the cost of actually getting there by going via Europe (usually Amsterdam).

From what he's told me everything jimg says about the people is true.and he's built up quite a big support network for when he starts uni there.
Glad to hear... would recommend Japan to anyone... only have good memories of that World Cup trip
It's surprising how many Brits he does meet out there, as well as Americans of course..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.