Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:cheers Brill Brian that was super to read so I take it thats you on the net looking to get your next Goa trip booked ...we all know its a sh** hole but there is just something about it makes you want to go back again and again ...colleen
Excellent report,but i must pull you on the tippping.You said 10/20 rps is enough as the shack boys earn about 3500 rps per month.I think this is outrageous...these boys work only for about 5 months of the year so need to earn their money during the tourist season.If you were in a restaurant in the Uk would you leave the equivilent of a 20p tip.Most people tip 10%,so on a bill of say 1000 rps you would leave 100 rps.Also the tips are normaly pooled so all the staff share in the tips,including the kitchen staff etc.

John
Lots of the shack boys I spoke to don't work only 5 months.
After the season they move on to other seasonal jobs.
tipping,,ooer! touchy subject.
it seems to upset some people, either tipping too much or too little.

In my case it varies on several things.
1 what kind of mood I am in
2 how good the service and food was
3 how big the bill is
4 and most crucially, how many honeybees I have had!
oh yes i'm going again....9 weeks time silver sands holiday village candolim and trying as many beach huts as my time will allow (3 weeks)
john someone else pulled me on my tipping comment when i first posted that trip report on tripadvisor....each to their own i say but its human nature that greed takes over lets say they start getting 100rps tips for a season then imo in two seasons time it will be 200rps per tip.also a tip is gratuaty (sp) not compulsary.
i do see your point of view tho

all the best
Brian
A few shack lads that we have knowen for years told us that they dont get paid for working in the shacks they get a bed for the night their food and their tips ....RE.tips if we get our food fast drinks with out having to go looking for them and if the boys leave us in peace then we tip them 10%..to me thats more than enough ...colleen
I think that they may have been trying it on Colleen, I have seen boys at bonos get paid.
I think so too del no one does nothing for nothing ..that was back in the days where they did not know if they would ever see you again ..But the Goa bug got us :rofl
;) I think you'll find Zeb no longers works for Jungle Book..but has branched out to do his 'own thing' as an independant tour guide. We did Jungle Book good few years back now when Zeb had not long been working for them. I am still in contact with him so if anybody wants any info on what he is doing now please pm me and I'll put you in touch with him. :tup
We will have to see about some tour etc this year.
Say that every year and never do anything new,but have been on most of the day trip things and the taj trip is a bit expensive by air and I really don't fancy the train.
Anyway 56 hours to go!
Train is great! We were first with day tripper to go by train south out of Goa to karwar. Thoroughly recommend it although I think they go by jeep now .
No way go on a flight Del its not as dear as you think ....
seems to come out at around £850 with Johns boat tours or lazydays
Del do it all yourself on the net when we went about 3 years ago it worked out at about £230 ish ...i copy this from a post I made in the past ...

[b]We will be going to the Taj Mahal in November we booked it all on our own DIY we got the lot for about £220 each that is for 2 return flights Goa to Delhi ...5 nights in 3 different hotels while we are there ..all our transport for the 6 days we are there ....and Train tickets to armritsa (sp) to see the waga border ceremony...so I would have to say do it on your own ........colleen
;) Was chatting last night with Zeb who worked for Jungle Book. He now works for himself and takes small groups of say 5 or 6 /families and is at least 20% cheaper than anyone else in the industry. Sort of trips he does - Golden Triangle flights both ways / Kerala with Kanyakumari very cheap with an option of an overnight houseboat. He also does the Heritage Tour of India that includes Varanasi, Sarnath and Satna with an option of Khajuraho. If you want his details let me know.
Betty , have PM'd you

Colleen, I did a quick (very quick) search for local flights with kingfisher and their return flights were around the £220 each mark which seemed wrong.
I will have another look later today.
we have a month there so can spare a day in a internet cafe!
we have a month there so can spare a day in a internet cafe!

Alright Del......no one likes a show off ;) Only joking I am just jealous as I am only going there for a week :(
I did have 12 nights pre Xmas though ;)
Mr Jeetly , I loved your report, we love Palolem too , I have stayed there a couple of times and always feel so chilled out there :)
Loved your report thanks. Maybe see you at the Silver Sands in 9 weeks time :cheers or maybe te HT meet.
I dont mind a day or so down south, but I much prefer North Goa - garbage, dirt and all :really
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.