Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Is it sea fishing you want to do? There is a great lake there -Lake Banjoles (sp) and a great river with the biggest carp I've ever seen!
Either, i would prefer coarse fishing as i do that in the UK but am unsure what is on offer there, carp fishing sounds good though, where is the lake
I would love to do some carp fishing, do i need a licence? Where is the lake & river and would i need to take my own kit over there? I can take my own tackle etc but getting on a coach with a rod or a pole i dont think i could get away with, what bait is best there? bread, paste, corn? If i cant find the lake or river how would i go about fishing in the harbour, what bait??
The river Tare is in Estartit itself, Lake Banjoles is about a half hour car ride away - hubby hired a car for a couple of days. The only bait you will need is sweetcorn or bread. The lake is crystal clear so you won't catch the carp in it only chubb. Try google for more info.
Thanks, where is the river tare? We will be staying in Flamingo apartments, which way would i go from here to find it, cheers
The river is called the Ter not Tare as I spelt - sorry! It runs through the town into the sea. You can't miss it!
Thanks for this, i will google it and try and find it, cheers
Have a look on Google earth. If you stand on the beach nearest to your apartments facing the sea it is to your right. It's a big river you really can't miss it!
Thanks for the advice. Just been looking on google and the fishing on the Ter seems to have died out, it is on the decline apparently according to the reviews i have just read. Might try the harbour, any tips on fishing here??
Hubby says fish it further in land not by the beach. Just take a carp rod, one reel 8 to 10lb line and plenty of sweetcorn - (easy to buy in town) and you will catch fish all day long.
Hubby says he's really jealous some of the best fishing he has ever had was here!
I will try further inland as you have said, just getting bit confused reading reviews saying it has declined recently, but hey its worth a try isnt it, thanks for your advice
Hello.....I have just returned from a fab holiday in Estartit together with fishing gear .
I can update you with the current fishing on the El Ter and I have also been responsible for some of the posted comments made earlier regarding the decline in the fishing there.
Moving away from the mouth of the river which enters the sea (Beach end) and some 2-300mtrs inland only the odd mullet was caught using method feeder and pellet .
Further inland to the Torroller road bridge there are fairly big shoals of large mullet and only the odd carp. I fished beneath the bridge weir and lost a large specimen in the pool using a light link ledger and sweetcorn ..it felt like a large carp going by the take. We managed some clonking eels and a small crucian but the mullet where very finniky (I was broken off several times on one visit using 8lb line) ..
But alas, the huge carp shoals from 'yesteryear' still remain scarce !!!!
If you venture past Banyoles lake up to Besalu (Walled village) there is the bridge over the river with plenty of carp in the margins, permits obtainable from a restaurant there.
Holiday wise ..........Estartit is a fantastic place and improving every year in our opinion , take a car as you will need to explore the nearby coastline of beautiful beaches in the Begur region (25min drive)....... :tup
p.s ...in Estartit harbour you will see some of the "Biggest" Mullet ever :yikes
Hi, where is thr river Ter? If i was to come out of the Flamingo apartments which way do i walk? Is it towards the supermarket and dirt track on the way to the camp site? I am sure i saw a river trickling through here somewhere...Sounds like it is fishing well, i would probably be float fishing with paste or sweetcorn, or maybe luncheon meat, must be some decent fish in there if you got snapped up on 8lb line, i will have to take a variety of lines, hooks etc..
Are you allowed to fish the harbour? Someone said they think it may be protected or something, i would not be hiring a car so would be walking to any locations..
As for Estartit glad to see you say it is improving as it has been very quiet for the past couple of years, is Clancys still open?? Heard a couple of people saying it may be closing down, hope not, was it open did you notice?
Hi Johnm100.....Sorry John you will have a long walk with your tackle i'm afraid.
The river mouth on the beach is a very long walk (past the nature reserve) south of the resort and that is your best bet by foot (fish a few hundred meters up river though).
However, you could take a taxi or local bus up to next town of Torrolla (which you will come through before reaching Estartit ) about 10 mins away.
Take the left turn in the centre of the town to Pals and you will pass over a large road bridge .
You can drop down below this bridge and fish a few spots of shallows , weir pool , and running deeper water (very picturesque) and a few years back you would see all the carp basking in the sunshine..now, just mullet roaming about !!! :cry
Yes try all those baits but i found sweetcorn the most productive.
As for the harbour ...."no fishing" are displayed aroud the marina , but people can be seen fishing.
Large chunks of breakflake will bring the large mullet to your feet ..just watch them !!

Cheers and good luck !
Thanks for the advice, i was under the impression the river Ter was couple of minutes walk away to be honest, i may ask a local taxi to take me or find a bus, dont go until early Sept and it cant come around quick enough to be honest, do you know if Clancys bar was still open when you were there?
Hi John .....regarding Clancy's ...is it the Irish bar(pub) virtually on its own on a back street between Hotel Medes II and the old town centre ? If so, it was open and offering 'Sunday Roast lunches' and seemed to be very quiet !.....we walked past here nearly every day to our Hotel Medes II but did not stop for a look.

Cheers Barty
Cheers mate, i was hoping it would be open, we went there every night for our evening meal last year, they serve food the kids will eat you see which is a bonus
Hi John.....See you returned from your trip to Estartit recently !! ..... How did the fishing go , did you manage to find the Ter ? (Torrola bridge)

Let me know please

Cheers

Barty
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply... Did not end up going fishing after all, just chilled out for a week to be honest, should be back there next year though so hopefully will go fishing then...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.