Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Fit to fly
8 Posts
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your accident.

My son ended up in hospital in Majorca about 4-5 years ago and, from memory, when we made the insurance claim we had to produce the the "fit to fly" cert. in order to make the claim. I think we were also able to claim for this cert . Without this cert. they may not pay out on your claim- so I would check out very carefully. Again from memory, we also had to send all our tickets to the insurance co. If anything happened on the way home - without a fit to fly cert - you possibly may not then be covered.

We had all the correct documentation and it took us several attempts to claim everything. Keep all your receipts for everything incl taxis, telephones.etc.
I agree with the other post.

My mother in law had a fall whilst in Tenerife and we had to go through the process.

But back home, I can tell you that unless you have all the paperwork, including fit to fly cert. you will not stand a chance of claiming back.

Get everything signed and go through correct procedure or you could find yourself out of pocket.
the Health Card is just for the Spanish equivalent of NHS facilities, with most in Tenerife being Private. This could be why you were asked to pay and claim back
As far as I am aware you will need your fit to fly certificate when claiming off your insurance
thanks for all your replies.
We have now got our Fit to Fly certificate. All be it at an additional 150 euros. Hopefully we will be able to claim everything back on our insurance. fingers crossed.
hi all

am i right in saying, if you don't make sure its a hospital working on the same lines as our NHS the EHIC is a total waste off time ??

plus, if your in the canaries how do you check its a national health hospital ??

if your hurt you just make your way to the first doctors/hospital.
  • Edited by ray388 2007-01-06 14:45:15
I saw a programme on Tv last year where 2 young reporters went undercover to hospitals in holiday resorts feigning accidents and illnesses and most hospitals did carry out procedures not needed and gave treatment that also was not needed,so they could overcharge tourists knowing they can claim the costs back from the insurance company.Surely an Xray will determine if a limb is broken or not.I hope you manage to claim from your insurance but it may only be a matter of time before insurance companies refuse to pay out for unnecessary treatment.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.