Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Having just done my first DIY scheduled flight I think this is going to be our option for the future as long as prices remain reasonable, packages IMO have become far too expensive. I understand your concerns MazD and I suppose that in this current economic climate there are no guarantees that more airlines will not cut back on certain routes to save money or indeed go belly up. We shall have to wait and see. Fizz
I agree 100% fizzy2. The amount of savings and no single suppliment is a big attraction when booking a flight and acc over a package. I guess even well known holiday firms have gone burst before now.
I do worry sometimes about being away by myself if the airline went under about how i would manage to pay for a flight home.
Funny really, I never gave that a thought but probably because I have a credit card for emergencies, you'll just have to book when I go again and borrow from me if your stuck :)

If I did get stuck over there I think I would just phone work and say sorry can't get back for another couple of weeks - I would love to see their faces if that happened :D

Seriously though, it would be a right bummer for a lot of people, not sure what I'd do without a credit card or sufficient cash, probably get family/friends to transfer some money out to me just to get me home :que ......Fizz
Agree with fizzy scheduled flight is the only way to travel if the price is right and you can still take out travel insurance that will help cover the cost of the airline going pop

The journey is only a little longer if you pick the right flights and you don't have the hassle of Goan immigration and customs

We have just come back with Kingfisher and had a great flight with excellent cabin staff, free drinks, OK meals and alright IFE but think that Jet are even better
Still had the hassle of immigration as I flew with Qatar via Doha - no hassle if you are on a domestic flight from an Indian hub though. :tup
Qatar prices from Manchester for our dates are ridiculous at the moment.

Papa
Maz, booking via a travel agent gives extra security if you haven't got a credit card.
There is no saying what market conditions will prevail when you book next. This year was particularly good for the independant traveller , especially those looking for Manchester flights, but by next year, or even right now, flight prices may have shot up. Extra taxes haven't helped.
The tour companies were also ditching blocked booked hotel rooms they no longer required at very keen prices, I doubt this will happen next year.
Bargains relative to current market prices are always to be had for those who look hard enough.
Keeping an eye on HT helps too !!!!!!!! ;)
book your flights through trailfinders they are bonded so you will be certain to get home
hi
i agree but try to stick with the same airline ie kingfisher to mumbai then kingfisher to dabolim,try also to book with atol protected if you are coming for longer period its worth going to heathrow as you get the extra allowance also if you go down the day before and stay at a travelodge you can even pick them up at times for £9
Thanks for all the replies guys. Definatly some points to consider.
We found we can go from Birmingham as cheap as Heathrow, the only downside is we have to change somewhere in Europe.
But we save the trip to Heathrow, last time we went from there it took 4 hours, usually 2 and only just managed to check in on time.
By going to an EU country 1st you only have to arrive an hour before the flight.
For us it usually works out less total time.
I agree with you there Sam its all added traveling time and Id much rather go from Manchester. :D Even better would be doncaster you never know one day *dreams :tongue
Hiya Sam..Thats worth thinking about we went from Heathrow this november and it was very tiring like you say its a 3 1/2 hr journey before you get to the airport i'll look into this for march...
We found we can go from Birmingham as cheap as Heathrow, the only downside is we have to change somewhere in Europe.
But we save the trip to Heathrow, last time we went from there it took 4 hours, usually 2 and only just managed to check in on time.
By going to an EU country 1st you only have to arrive an hour before the flight.
For us it usually works out less total time.

Sam....are these flights into Mumbai via Lufthansa,KLM or AF......or have you found anything that goes direct into Dabolim?
What do you reckon on the connection times and waiting in Mumbai...both inward and outward?
Everytime i investigate i lose a day/night through waiting at airports at crazy hours.....haven't got days to waste on holiday....or wish to leave early then spend half the night waiting for a connection.
I looked at the Cochin, Bangalore, Trivandrum connections....but it's just more inconvenience.

Have discovered that Air Berlin and Swiss now do direct flights into Phuket...so a quick hop from Birmingham (with 1 hour check-in) and straight through to destination avoiding Bangkok....VISA on arrival. Much more attractive.
Chriss,

Know what you mean about spending at leat 1 night in Mumbai, we have done it before and it all adds to the time & cost of your holiday.

These flights are with Lufthansa, we have also done Air France. Both are good airlines, Air France give you real Champagne on the outward trip. Lufthansa has decent beer.

We find the transfers between terminals in Mumbai to be good, and getting better each year.

We usually book to Mumbai with Southall. When Southall give a price they often also give alternatives with the same airline. Click on this and find flights that have good times for you. This way you can minimise the amount of time you are hanging around.

We then go onto Cleartrip to book flights to Goa. Cleartrip allow you to go out with 1 airline then back with another. This time down with Kingfisher and back with Spicejet.

This time we leave Birmingham at 7:25 to Frankfurt, we arrive in Mumbai at 1:35am (8pm UK time) catch the Kingfisher flight at 4:55am.We have about 3 hours in Frankfurt and Mumbai. We will be in Candolim by 7am. (1:30pm UK time).

Coming back we leave Goa on the last flight to Mumbai at 6:45pm our flight to Munich going back is at 1:50 am, this is the longest wait. We are back in Birmingham at 10:30am, and sould be back in Leicester by 11:30am.

Total time door to door going out about 20-21 hours and coming home 24 hours.

We booked to go out mid Jan on 7th November the price in total per person £360. We find about 2 months ahead is usually about right to get the lower prices

We have looked at prices direct into Goa and these all worked out at least £200 more per person.

We looked at Swiss Air but the layover in Switzerland was always between 6 and 12 hours.

Steve
I agree with you there Sam its all added traveling time and Id much rather go from Manchester. Even better would be doncaster you never know one day *dreams

Noticed there are flights from EMA which may be of interest to you. (charter flights)
seen them from B'ham before but not from EMA, possibly 'cos I haven't been looking
We have just booked for Feb to go schedule with Kingfisher from Heathrow to Mumbia then on to Goa. Having trawled all the web sites for weeks I rang Travelpack and was supprised to hear they are no longer dealing with charter companies,[we have gone with them many times before, flying Monarch]. They sorted everything out and we even got it £60.00 each cheaper through them than Kingfisher were quoting on their web page. Bit nervous about the change at Mumbai as we only have 1 hr 30mins change over time on the outward journey, but they assure me we WILL get the plane to Goa on time ....so hey ho we are going schedule and will hopefully have a bit more room on the plane........cant wait
hi maxmum
if you are going kingfisher-kingfisher,dont worry the staff will see you through and to the coach across the terminal,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.