Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Shirl,
A couple of years ago, they would take you down to Sharm from Taba by coach, for the Cairo flight. I understand that you can now get a flight to Cairo from Taba, but I dont know anyone who has done it.

The sound and light show at Giza was good when I saw it a few years back and I was talking to someone last year who said the Nile dinner cruise was excellent. I expect it depends on who else is going as to the atmosphere on any given night.

You will see a lot of amazing things in Cairo, some of which may not be there for ever. As to who it is best to book with, you'll just have to see how it is when you get to Taba. I'd be loathe to book before you go.
Seriously, Carrot ? It does seem daft to drive for 2 1/2 hours down to Sharm, then lose 45 - 60 mins at the airport, plus 45 mins flying time, and another 30 mins at Cairo Airport which is anyway right at the completely opposite side of Cairo from the Pyramids. There is supposedly a Petroleum Air Services flight on Tuesdays which is used only by some of the tour companies. But then again, Taba Airport is not in Taba, its 45 minutes drive from Taba Heights on the same way to Cairo, so you do not save that much time either and the advantage with the coach trip is that it gives the group more flexibility and no worries about delays caused by fog ( possible at Cairo Airport in the winter mornings ).

Longwoods do an excellent two day one night excursion ( see their website ) though I guess that would suit more people going for two weeks to Nuweiba - Taba.
I totally agree with you about the flights, Swiss, I was just trying to answer Shirleys question. If it was me, i'd take the coach every time.
I did fly to Cairo once, but that was from Luxor, where the airport is really close to the city. Even then, we had a two hour delay at Cairo airport on the way back!
Petroleum Air Services, who are they?
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered the time involved at airports, etc. I just assumed the flight would be quicker and more convenient. I just don't fancy the 3:00am start- and you won't see much of the countryside in the dark! However from what you say the coach does seem more appealing - and a lot cheaper. Plus a few years ago when we considered it whilst at Taba the trip by air was cancelled as there was not enough people signed up to make it worthwhile.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.