General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Football !!!
26 Posts
Same at my parents house Doe Dad is a sports fanatic, especially football. Reminds me of when I was a child and you didn't dare breathe when the football results were being announced because my grandad would be marking his pools coupon :sulk

The only good thing about the pools was that I was given coupons to play with, so I'd use them as my doll's school register :rofl
Lol and I remember the pools man coming to the house. I said something in passing last week to my daughter along the lines of that will only happen if we win the pools. She just looked at me blankly and said "what's the pools" :rofl :rofl

Doe :sun2
I mentioned 'the pools' to my hubby last night who's 7 years younger than me and he too had to remain quiet when the results were being read out. So I now have a vision of the whole of the country having a 5min silence every Saturday at, was it 5 o'clock? :rofl
Fortunately my lot are not huge football fans . Son no 2 maybe the most but he will watch what he wants in his room .. Yes I am very lucky :D , I had a belly full of it when I was growing up , All of my family love Football and my brother used to take charge of the TV .. It seemed like every hour of every day was dominated by sport .

I remember the pools man too , they spent a fortune on it in my house.! My mum & sister actually won it once .Think it was boxing day because I can remember they couldn't stake their claim for 2 whole days and we had spent a million at least before they found out half the country had won too. They got about 3K which I suppose was a lot of money at the time but nowhere near what they had dreamed of.
I'm just impressed that somebody won somewhere Lyn :tup I'm sure my Dad did them for about 40 years and only had the equivalent of todays £10 lottery wins. I have never been able to escape football as i'm an only child of a footie loving Dad and then most of the men in my life have liked it as well. I have even been know to go myself and have over the years seen such delights as West Ham :yikes , Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, England etc It's just it being on TV all the time I cant seem to hack. Must be gettting old, or maybe it was because I wanted Sky films and they wanted Sly sports. :rofl

Sorry .... but I must admit to loving the football and I am a season ticket holder and follow my team as well :D So we cant get enough footy in our house.

I should probably have been a man, I am more the pub and football girl. Hate shopping and everything girly :rofl
Your avatar gives your love of football away Gemma - you can't hide :rofl
Forgot all about my avator to be honest :duh :rofl
Watching Liverpool game just now.
My husband's cousin was capped 3 times by England, and her team reached the Women's FA Final, she is now the manager of our local ladies football team.

When the world cup was on she rang me up to say her and her husband were going on holiday to Cyprus but in her flight home was the night of the World Cup Final so could I find her another flight. There was NO WAY was she missing the final so she cut her holiday short! :rofl
That lady has her priorities right :D

I once changed a holiday to Goa to 2 weeks from 3 weeks because I didnt want to miss an old firm game, I would also miss my gorgeous golden lab as well if I left her for 3 weeks, so we changed the duration of the holiday :tup
OMG- cut short a holiday by a week for a football match?? how did husband take the news? :) A dog I can understand though!
One of the best atmospheres I have experienced watching a TV football match was in Kenya, with a load, of Kenyans, Germans and Brits when England played Cameroon in the quarter finals (?) of the 1990 world cup.

Brilliant stuff, talk about a sport that can bring all nations together under the right circumstances.so exciting.

I have wandered around many overseas city's trying to find a random TV over the years as before we had kids we always went on holiday in late June early July when world cup matches are on.

Fiona this was only last year, its when we were travelling to Goa in March.

Youre right about everyone having a common interest Doe. Not football, but when it was the world cup final of cricket between India and Sri Lanka and we were on holliday in India, what a brilliant atmosphere when they went on to win :)
Yes Gemma sport has a kind of universal language about it :)

I remember being in a bar with loads of Germans in 2001 when the score was Deutschland 1 , England 5 , I think I was more shocked than the Germans , especially when Heskey hit the fifth , it was fantasy football gone mental .
Also a load of us at work huddled around a small portable watching England v Scotland at Euro 96 watching Gazza score that wonder goal ( sorry about that Gemma ;) wasn't Gazza playing for Rangers then as well ? )
Being on holiday in Malaysia and when the locals find out you're English the first thing they then say is " Ah Man Utd " There's probably more man u fans there than in England !!! But they love the premier league and know so much about our football .
Sport can cross so many barriers and make people feel differently about things , we all saw that with the Olympics and especially the Paralympics .
I'm sat in the same bar typing this, where I sat and watched Spain win the World Cup in July .

What a night- priceless - the Spanish know how to celebrate. :cheers

Sanji x
I was in Lanzarote when they won their first euro , they are fairly passionate :D I think they're just on a lucky streak ;) when Iniesta packs up they'll be done for !!!! I'm happy for the Spanish for many years they've had good players but never won anything now they look like they won't let anyone else win anything !
Fiona wrote:
OMG- cut short a holiday by a week for a football match?? how did husband take the news? :) A dog I can understand though!

I think he expect nothing else Fiona :lol:
Sanji wrote:
I'm sat in the same bar typing this, where I sat and watched Spain win the World Cup in July .

What a night- priceless - the Spanish know how to celebrate. :cheers

Sanji x

I remember you being there Sanji & was jealous of the atmosphere. We were in Portugal when they played England and, although not football fans, we couldn't help getting caught up in all the fun.

andy66 wrote:
I remember being in a bar with loads of Germans in 2001 when the score was Deutschland 1 , England 5 , I think I was more shocked than the Germans , especially when Heskey hit the fifth , it was fantasy football gone mental .
Also a load of us at work huddled around a small portable watching England v Scotland at Euro 96 watching Gazza score that wonder goal ( sorry about that Gemma ;) wasn't Gazza playing for Rangers then as well ? )
Being on holiday in Malaysia and when the locals find out you're English the first thing they then say is " Ah Man Utd " There's probably more man u fans there than in England !!! But they love the premier league and know so much about our football .
Sport can cross so many barriers and make people feel differently about things , we all saw that with the Olympics and especially the Paralympics .

You are so right Andy re the barriers :tup
The funniest football game I've ever been to was a staff versus guests one at a hotel in Ibiza. It got a bit heated after the guests scored and one of the staff was sent off- he took the ball with him as it was his :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.