Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 11th
Three international friendly football matches in the Algarve!
Poland v Wales in Vila Real de Santo Antonio.

kick off for this one will be at 5.15pm

ALSO, on the same day, we learn of two other international friendlies that may be of interest.

Portugal v Finland in the Algarve Stadium ko 8.45pm

Tickets can be bought from the Algarve FA Office in Faro (1000 - 1200 and 1400 - 1700 weekdays), at the Forum Algarve in Faro (1200 - 2200) and at the offices of Garvetur. They are not available at the stadium. Prices from 10 to 20 Euros only.

Lithuania v Andorra (yes really) at the Albufeira Municipal Stadium (Imortal's ground) KO is 5.15pm/1715hrs according to the people at the stadium today (31st Jan) and confirmed by various websites.

The last game is, I imagine, because Lithuania have a Portuguese manager.
  • Edited by cubsur 2009-02-04 18:50:40
If anyone is visiting the Algarve in February & are interested in the carnivals around the Algarve this website gives information on them on where and when they take place. http://www.visitalgarve.pt/visitalgarve/vEN/ (click on carnival)
Another International Friendly on Saturday night:

LITHUANIA v POLAND

07.02.2009 - 19H20

Estadio Algarve

No info about tickets found.
UNDER 17 FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT FEATURING ENGLAND U-17

Sat 21 Feb Israel v France at Lagoa ko 3pm

Sat 21 Feb Portugal v England at Albufeira ko 3pm

Sun 22 Feb France v England at Lagos ko 3pm

Sun 22 Feb Portugal v Israel at Silves ko 3pm

Tue 24 Feb England v Israel at Ferreiras ko 9.30am

Tue 24 Feb Portugal v France at Albufeira ko 11am
I'm sure that I read somewhere that Benfica are due to play Sporting at the Algarve stadium in a quarter-final of some domestic competition fairly soon, but I can't recalll where I saw it... not that it matters because tickets will be like hen's teeth as, seemingly, every Portuguese male on the Algarve supports one or the other.(... Always been glory-hunters over there !! ;) :D )
You probably mean the final of the Carlsberg Cup - the League Cup. The final was played down here last year.

Sunday 22nd March provisionally at 4pm. There are no other games in the top two divisions that day but the lower divisions are playing so it wouldn't surprise me to see the game rescheduled for either the Saturday or Sunday evening.
The annual Algarve Cup Women's International Football tournament is being held early in march in various stadia around the area.

PLEASE NOTE TWO CHANGES OF VENUE IN GROUP B USA V NORWAY IS NOW IN FERREIRAS!

Here is the complete match schedule. There are no tickets, admission has been free to all to all matches I have been to over the past two years. All the stadia except for Estadio Algarve are more or less in the town centres. Access to most is therefore easy by public transport as well as by car.

There is no public transport at the Estadio Algarve - the train station of Parque das Cidades is about 1km - 3/4 mile away.

6th Annual Algarve Cup The Algarve, Portugal

Group A
Germany, Sweden, China, Finland

Group A Schedule
Date Match Venue; City Kickoff
March 4
Germany vs. Finland Estádio Municipal; Albufeira 1:15 p.m.
China vs. Sweden Estádio Municipal; Lagos 3 p.m.
March 6
Sweden vs. Finland Estádio Municipal; Lagos 12 p.m.
Germany vs. China Estádio Municipal; Albufeira 1:15 p.m.
March 9
Finland vs. China Estádio Municipal; Vila Real de Santo Antonio 1:15 p.m.
Sweden vs. Germany Estádio Algarve; Faro 1:15 p.m.

Group B
USA, Norway, Denmark, Iceland

Group B Schedule
March 4 USA vs. Denmark Estádio Municipal; Lagos 12 noon.
Norway vs. Iceland Estádio José Arcano; Olhão 3 p.m
March 6 USA vs. Iceland Parque Desportiva da Nora; Ferreiras 3 p.m.
Denmark vs. Norway Estádio Municipal; Lagos 3 p.m
March 9 Norway vs. USA Parque Desportivo da Nora, Ferreiras 3 p.m CHANGE OF VENUE
Iceland vs. Denmark Estadio Dr Franciso Vieira Silves 3 p.m. CHANGE OF VENUE

Group C
Portugal, Poland, Wales, Austria

Group C Schedule
March 4
Austria vs. Wales Estádio de Restina; Alvor 3 p.m
Poland vs. Portugal Estádio Municipal; Albufeira 5:45 p.m.
March 6
Austria vs. Poland Estádio Municipal; Vila Real de Santo Antonio 3 p.m
Portugal vs. Wales Estádio Municipal; Albufeira 5:45 p.m
March 9
Portugal vs. Austria Estádio Algarve; Faro 5:45 p.m.
Poland vs. Wales Estádio Municipal; Loulé 5:45 p.m.

Placement Matches
Date Match Venue; City Kickoff (Local/ET)
March 11 Match TBD Hotel Montechoro Fields; Albufeira 10:30 a.m
Match TBD Estádio José Arcano; Olhão 10:30 a.m
Match TBD Estádio Municipal; Loulé 10:30 a.m.
3rd Place Match Estádio Algarve; Faro 10:30 a.m
Portugal Placement Match Estádio Municipal; Lagos 11:30 a.m
FINAL Estádio Algarve; Faro 1:15 p.m
PLEASE NOTE TWO CHANGES OF VENUE IN THE ALGARVE WOMEN'S FOOTBALL CUP - I HAVE CHANGED THE MAIN POST ABOVE.

In particular the USA v Norway game will be played at Ferreiras and not Albufeira.
Here's the line up for the final day of matches in this competition.

If you have not been to any of the games, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the overall standard of play, the commitment and physicality. There has been more tackling and a great deal less histrionics than the average Portuguese men's matches I suffer every week! Less cheating in other words!

Reminder - admission is FREE or at least it has been to all the games I have been to so far.

Note the 'double header' at the Algarve Stadium.

WOMEN'S TOURNAMENT FINAL MATCHES

WEDNESDAY 11th MARCH

1130 Poland v Wales at Hotel Montechoro sports complex, Albufeira
1130 China v Iceland (Olhao)
1130 Austria v Norway (Loule Municipal Stadium)
1130 Portugal v Finland (Lagos)

1315 Germany v Denmark at Algarve Stadium 3rd/4th place playoff
1600 USA v Sweden at Algarve Stadium FINAL

There are no buses at the Algarve Stadium. I am going to the Final by means of the 1517 train from Albufeira to Parque das Cidades, which is about 1/2 mile from the stadium.

Return trip will be by the 1835 but that does mean a taxi back into town as there is no suitable bus connection.

By car, the stadium is about 30 minutes drive along the motorway and is clearly signposted 'Estadio Algarve' after the Loule exit.
Saturday and Sunday 21 and 22 March Albufeira Classic Cars

Official programme here

http://www.cm-albufeira.pt/NR/rdonlyres/B0B66EF0-CBE8-4465-B502-5FAD8D84B9B7/0/ProgramaAlbufeiraClassicCars.pdf

but briefly it opens on Saturday morning 1030 in the old town square. A dixieland band will play there at 14.30 before moving on to the Praia dos Pescadores at 1545.

The cars will drive in parade along the Av dos Descobrimentos between the Fire Station and the 'Watches' from 5pm Saturday.

On the Sunday morning from 1030 the cars will be on display at the Praia dos Pescadores down by the pier on the big square there.
Annual Pera Sand Sculpture Festival starts 22 May until 22 October.

Full details at http://www.fiesa.org

Located about a mile north of Pera, off the N125.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.