Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
There's a bookie/bar just up the road from your hotel which I'm sure will have it.
I seem to remember Gary Lineker's brother had a sport bar down near the beach-you cannot miss it. Pretty sure they will be showing the english sport.
for everyones general info,there has been a crackdown on all bookies on the costa del sol,at the moment there is no gambling allowed,a minimun fine of 30,000 euros
i believe it was the tote that messed up,and the latest i have heard (a rumour)is that they may be up and running again in 8 weeks or so
the only way to bet for example in fuengirola is with an online internet account,or to find individuals who will take a bet for you,the latter i would not recommend,unless the person is known by a local,who you too know well
what is the latest situation - are the bookies up and running again.

Just booked a flight for next year to watch Cheltenham, saw it in Mallons bar in Fuengirola last year, but note there is a Macauleys in Puerto Marina, Benalmadena which would be my preferred choice.

Any info ?
as far as i know,mcauleys are no more in fact the fuengirola branch i noticed had police tape over the lock,signed and dated 18 oct,and the one in benalmadena is shut too
i used to work for them

i think the situation is the same as in my previous post and in my opinion unlikely to change by next march so i would get that online account sorted or get to know a few locals
I was in Benalmadena as recently as 23rd September and the betting ban was still in place then. Many places, which had been closed down and fined, had only recently re-opened, but were no longer providing bookie services.
Thanks for the update - don't worry we were betting online and with credit accounts last year, it's just more a case of guaranteeing that we can watch all the racing.

Presume local bars will show all the racing in any event, last year Racing UK appeared to be free (which it is not in the UK) so we could watch all the races everyday rather than just the 4 shown on Channel 4.
Old London bar on the sea front will sort you out. It has about 10 screens and as many satellite receivers. Normally a football bar but it is open during the day and will put on anything you want.
Is that the London Pub in Fuengirola or is there an Old London in Benalmadena ? We are stopping this year in Benalmadena.
Old London Bar in Fuengirola, not the London Pub which is a Disco type pub. OLB is about 200 yards from the london Pub towards Marbella.
Can somebody give me an update on the betting situation. Have Internet Accounts, but watching the racing is more important !

We are staying at the Vistamar Aparthotel in Benalmadena - any advice on bars that will be showing the racing, preferably between the Vistamar (near Sunset Beach Club) and Puerto Marina as I think that we will wander towards the Marina every day and probably end up there for the evening. How much of a walk is that by the way ?

Thanks in advance.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.