Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Sorry if this is a wee bit off topic, but as Maxie has recently come back from Kololi, it is possible for you to write a review of the resort, with info on bars and eating places and such like. :?:
I've looked in the resort report section of the site and i cannot find any Gambia resort info.! :?
hi ,will post report shortly cheers maxie :D
We were in Kololi, Gambia from 11th -18 Dec, had a wonderful time, ate out every night in a different place and the food was excellent in them all, the African Queen, the Lebanese, the Thai, The Gambian Kitchen one that helps Gambian women and children, another next to African Queen, Ali Barbas and Mandelas, all very good and no upset tummies.
We are going to Sunset Beach hotel in April and would like to take some supplies. We are starting saving pencils, rulers, crayons and wonder if anyone has any other suggestions. Are atlas useful?

Also can anyone recommend a worthwhile school that we could arrange a visit to to give the items to the teachers.

Any help much appreciated.
Hi Sooze

Have you been in touch with GTS yet? They have a restaurant in Kololi where you could drop off items to be distributed. If you are not sure what to take then you can post questions on their website:

http://gambiatouristsupport.com/homep.html

When we went, we took pens and exercise books which were gratefully received. I'm in the process of collecting some more stuff to send to them at the moment.

Hope that helps!
We always visit a nursery school in Serrekunda that we were put in touch with through some friends a few years ago. It is a small school in a very poor area with about 40 children and they are desperate for any help.
They love having people to visit and the children usually go through their repertoir of nursery rhymes,times tables,etc for you. Very moving visit but at the same time we always feel like they appreciate our efforts.
If you would like more details please send me a PM.
Maxie.

On your posting was a link to Monas guesthouse. Have you stayed at that place? If so, could you let me have some ionfo on it please.

I am looking for a place to stay as I will doing the trip to Gambia on a flight only basis.

Any other recommended accomodation would be glady received.
Can you give me some idea of the rates at the Kololi Beach Club. I found their web site but they soimehow omitted the rates, strange that.
Hi,Pedro. yes I have stayed their so have friends,
Its a simple gambian home,all european mod cons that you need shower,kitchen fridge/freezer etc.
HOWEVER the word is simple,she stays with her son, will let you self cater or cook you authentic african meals ,clean your room or let you do your own thing,the house is comfortable TV /DVD player rooms are furnished 2 off.
bedding is changed twice a week. ther is a fan in the rooms
It is 2or 3 minutes from kololi highway and 5 minutes from Sennigambia.
The owner has a taxi driver friend who will take you up and around the local area for 45 dalasi a hire . He never let us down ,always informed us if he had an all day hire Kunta Kinteh beach, Serrekunda Banjul etc are obviously
extra,He is good and reliable . The car is excellent for Gambia.
She is booked up till march the 17th a friend and I have it for 7 weeks.It is simple clean and central to everywhere, cheers maxie :D :D :D
Thanks for that. Can you give me some idea of the costs of the guesthouse please so I can think about budgets etc. I would appreciate that. Thanks
HI PEDRO,The rates you will get quoted are the highest they can get out of you ,usually 20-35 pounds per night for basic accomodation , You want Ensuite, look for a hotel out of the sennigambia area,If the site says KOLOLI KOTU, MANJI You are way from touristy area ie senigambia(which in my opinion is turning into gambias verioncas strip ala playa de america,do a late deal through a tour op,and remember ,TAKE MALARIA PRECAUTIONS cheers maxie. PM me I can advise a place ensuite
HI ,They will ask for 900 to 2500 dalasi a night ,find a place for the night ,then get somewhere to stay ,its easy I did it a few times,Cheers maxie :D
hi all havent seen a lot on gambia. looks quite dear in comparison to other foreign trips.reason im asking is that i hear there is some good fishing to be had (looking for a special birthday treat) what is flight only like anyone, price wise ??
I haven't been to The Gambia recently but I'm surprised that it's coming up expensive in relation to similar trips. The flight is longer than most European destinations but not that much longer and you do get the benefit of almost tropical weather without the hassle and cost of a longhaul flight. When I went HB only cost around the same as HB in Tunisia and the absence of a single supplement meant that it was very much cheaper than the Canaries and certainly loads cheaper than the Caribbean for similar weather.

What sort of a budget are you hoping to do the trip for? People might be able to provide you with more detailed guidance if you could give an indication of how much you wanted to spend.

Also, what sort of fishing are you looking for? When I was there, there wasn't much in the way of game fishing like you'd get in the Caribbean mainly because there weren't the suitable boats around for it. The few men who mentioned they'd been fishing said it was a good day out but they didn't actually catch that much and nothing very big either -mainly because the boas didn't go that far out. However, it's now 4/5 years since I went and the tourist infrastructure might be better now.

SM
We are staying at the Sunset Beach in Kotu in April and need to prepare for budget. Can anyone tell me an idea of typical costs. We are B&B so eating out for lunch and dinner.

Sandwich, or equivalent lunchtime snack
Large beer (in a restaurant)
Bottle of wine
Steak & Potatos or equivalent meal
Anything typically African, we do prefer to try the local food rather than the find the nearest Burger King

Also are there any local clothes to buy, like African sarongs?

Can anyone recommend any good trips?

Many thanks for any help.
was chatting to a chap in a pub on sunday and he goes every year fishing- said it was great.probably wont bother now as too much hassle with the jabs (and expensive) went to goa 15 years ago so jabs now no longer valid. probably looking at tunisia a1 or egypt. have only got the choice of two days to leave in april and want to go from bristol. tunisia is always a good deal.(except the beer is rubbish) about 2% i think. unless anyone can point me in the right direction on this. kc
HI.xl.com, has good late deal flights,most expensive is usually gambia experience site ,cheers maxie :D
Hi, We're off to Kotu next friday,so I'll let you know prices when we get back.We stayed in Banjul back in nov/dec.there was very little there so we found it more expensive than we had thought,as because of the isolated position of our hotel their prices were relatively high. Can't wait to get back to the lovely people and the sunshine!! :D
Thank you for that would be really pleased to hear any advice and good places to eat. Where are yuo staying?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.