Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Goa to Mumbai
13 Posts
:D hiya mids we done mumbai we saw the hanging gardens ghandis house, the gateway to india, the outdoor wash house!! the jhaine temple, the slums,(little shanty type town on the edge of the road)
there is so much to see we did it with daytrippers in calangute, and the train is a brilliant xperiance as well a right laugh maggieomx :D
http://www.shelleyshotel.com 8) Rooms can be very expensive in Mumbai, this one is in Colaba and just round the corner from the Gateway. 2 nights would be better and you could spend a day out on Elephanta Island, then a bit of a tour round the city.
Hiya,

We are taking a trip to Mumbai from Goa next week. We booked our flights from makemytrip.com and are flying with kingfisher (only an hour each way) It is also cheaper than booking with Kingfisher direct we got our flights for £120 return for two of us.

We are pushing the boat out and staying at the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower which is the top (and most expensive) hotel in Mumbai - we get a butler thrown in apparently! :lol:

I have been doing alot of reading up on Mumbai and all the books say that you should try to book accommodation before you get there. If you are after a funky boutique hotel look up 'The Gordon House Hotel' - They have a website.

Things to do:

Colaba Causeway - Market
Dhobi Ghats - big washing place mentioned in other post which is meant to be quite a sight to see!
Chor Bazaar
Crawford Market

If you like a bit of nightlife we have heard the best places are 'Insomnia' at the Taj Mahal and 'Athena'.

Best places to eat:

Indigo
Tedulkars
Kyber
Leopalds
Pearl of the orient
Olive bar and kitchen

I really hope that is helpful - quite a lot to digest!

Oh and if you fancy doing something different there are loads of Bollywood films filmed in Mumbai and the directors are always looking for western extras for a days work (and maybe a dance)! You get paid aswell! Might be quite an experience!

Have fun

ecca
x :D
:shock: never thought to say we stayed at the sea palace hotel which is a couple of doors away from the taj hotel it is faceing the sea and the gateway to india we had a front room which overlooked the sea in the morning it was very eerie as there was a mist over the sea and as it lifted you could see all the boats and the naval acadamey which is out in the bay it was spooky!! the sea palace has a website as well so you can look the rooms we,r massive and very clean, maggieomx
Thanks for the info something to start planning around....

Tempted to train it one way & fly the other

still welcome any further suggestions and experiences

mids
Just got back from Goa a few hours ago and did the Mumbai trip flyinh out with Air Deccan and flying back with Spice jet which cost us around £40 each booked a couple of months in advance. I had reserved rooms at the Sea Palace but didnt really like it when we got there and spent an hour in a taxi looking for something a little more upmarket but they were all full ( try fariyas, as they have good deals on thenet) so stuck it out with Sea Palace.

I dont think a night is enough in Mumbai but I suppose it depends on what you are interested in. Apart from all thats been mentioned we took a boat trip tp the Elephanta Islands which we all enjoyed, but as Hindus it would interest us.
hi gooner, we did virtually the same thing on jan 5th, spicejet £47 and sea palace hotel. we got to the hotel a little late due to delay at airport, guy at reception hadn't got any rooms for us even though i had an email confirming 2 rooms. he eventually stuck me in a dodgy room next to the kitchen. strange hotel, don't think i'll be staying there again.
Thanks for the info.....

still undecided on Hotel...

Mids
Are there any better days to be there i.e weekdays or weekend any to avoid ??

Thanks Mids
If you want good,cheap accomodation that is in a prime position opposite the Taj hotel and Gateway to India in Colaba then try the Red Shield Club.

All meals are included and tea is served by the staff in faded Raj style uniforms in the afternoon.

Price. Not been for a while but I would gues it was about 500 rupees a night.

People from the ' Bollywood' industry go frequently to the Red Shield to see if there are any up and coming foreign film star extras!
its better to book your hotel in advance to avoid disapointment
Thanks for the tips

All booked will report back following the trip...

Mids
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.