Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Our friends love anything to do with ManU so we take them over shirts, programmes from the matches, ManU Yearbooks, autographs, etc.
Nothing , sorry if it sounds mean but over the last 10 years the true friends are the ones who have never asked for anything from me ever and they still get in touch throughout the year to speak to me. You have to think how many more `2 week friends` also take gifts, okay so I take a big bar of Cadburys for my favourite shack lady or was till she ripped me off last year :(
If you take anything make sure it isn`t anything like mp3 players, mobile phone or anything else expensive as all they do is sell them on when you go and then get another from next `2 week friend`.
FTV is correct.

One year we were in a shack when we overheard a group of Brits talking about how one of them had given a 'friend' an old mobile phone (as the friend had said he had always wanted one) and the friend had complained that it did not have a camera on it. The Brit took the phone back and told the person where to go and told the group that he would never have anything to do with that person again.

We have several two week friends in Goa, and we would not dream of bringing them presents from the U.K. We don't give them our telephone number or address, although they have a rough idea of where we live.

I know this does sound harsh, but we have also heard of people receiving text messages requesting money be transferred over to them because a relative needs the money for an operation etc.
Just give them your service and a tip if they are involved in thetourist business (shop, shack, bar etc.)

True friends do not ask for money.
A Calendar with photos of them and you from your last visit.
Having delivered 2 this afternoon the reaction was fantastic.
Sorry, I think some of you have got the wrong end of the stick.

I never mentioned anyone asking for anything, let alone giving them cash etc.

Just interested if anyone takes presents over for their friends in Goa.
We usually bring something Irish back to Goa. For the shack boys t shirts or football shirts and Irish cream chocs/fudge etc.They don't expect it at all and have never asked for anything. Nothing too expensive but they treat us so well I feel it's only right to give them a little gift. Our friends who own a restaurant are also very good to us. They even took us out for a meal on our last day as their restaurant was closed for the season. In the past we've brought them Irish linen tea towels and some little religious Catholic relics which I think they appreciate. They are very generous to us, and normally give us a leaving pressie too, so it works both ways. The photos sound like a good idea , must keep that in mind for our next visit.
Gail
We always send/take photos, sometimes in a frame (depends on the photo). Other than that we sent a cheap wind up torch once, and have sent baby grows when one of our friends (family now really) had a baby. Never anything that costs more than a few £'s. They in turn, always give us small gifts when we leave. Just like any good friend that lived round the corner from me in England would be like. They wouldn't even take anything from us when we got married in Goa, and our "family" organised everything with the local Priest, transport etc.

It's the small gifts that mean more than they cost that matter more.
We have friends in Goa, got to know them as sellers through a shack, they keep in contact between our visits and while we are over there we always get invited to their shanty for a home made meal during our stay. This is a great experience with seeing all the kids from the "extended" family. They never expect anything of us, but this time we are taking across a few clothing items - school uniform etc and some used t-shirts/shorts etc for the children.
They are very good and protective while we are away and will tell sellers not to bother us if we are looking surrounded and are happy just to leave us alone if we say no to them at any particular time. :tup
I think what the others are saying that it's a slippery slope in Goa... People tend to be nice to see what they can get out of you, to keep good friends it's best not to get involved in random presents because if one year you forget they will take offence, keep it simple friends would not ask or expect... If there's an occasion (birthday or whatever) then fine, although I don't think this is a general rule as I was shocked to find out that ne of our young staff didn't get any birthday or Christmas presents from her family....
It is easy to get "sucked in" by some people in Goa so its right to be cautious however, we have made many friends over there over the years and have helped a couple of them out. We are under no illusions that what we have given will be paid back and we did this with our eyes wide open. These friends have been of enormous help to us over the years and it was our way of repaying them for their kindness. They didn't ask, we offered.

As for other friends, sometimes we take a few clothes or toys for the kids, (which I get from sales, car boots, friends) other times I will give them some money (not much) and tell them to use it for anything the kids might need or to help the family out generally. I try never to go overboard, last time the kids had some arm bands to help them with learning to swim, next time we go we have some glove puppets for them - nothing much but it gives them pleasure and us too :) The only thing I was ever asked for was a rain cape for a friend when riding his scooter and this came from Lidl - he was very pleased with it, as often the quality of stuff from the UK is far superior to what is available in Goa.

I am more than happy to do this for my friends, we have kept our group of friends "tight" as we did have one "friend" who tried it on - he didn't succeed, so we are aware of the pitfalls. We have known our "tight group" of friends for 10 years now and I hope our friendships continue. I am Godmother to 2 little girls (1 officially the other unofficially) and I am extremely fond of my girls and hope they do well in life. If I can do a little to help them, I will. One of our family's is a lot poorer than the other and strangely enough we probably do less for them, yes we have helped and yes I take some clothes for the little one but the most important thing I can do for them is provide my support and encouragement. The young father now has a job as a cleaning supervisor in a hotel coming up through the ranks from a room boy and we are very proud of him. He is doing well (even though he has a limited education) I hope that he will carry on up the ladder and we will support, encourage AND give a few rupees if we feel it's necessary (without taking away his dignity by making it too easy for him - after all, we won't always be around to help).

If you are a two week tourist it is unlikely that you will get so involved, but if you fall for Goa and make good friends as many of us have and you become repeaters then you will have to make up your own minds about who you can trust and who you want to bring gifts for, but do be aware. Fizz
We have some really good friends in Goa and we bring chocolade, swedish music and books for them. They have never asked for anything but they are taking so good care of us so we love to bring something back to them.

When it comes to the guys on the beach, no! We have heard such a strange stories about shackowners that don´t pay them, still they are at the same place next season and how they need money for their family, for the doctor and mobil so that they can talk to mum but last time when we found a new (for us) shack and started to talk to one of the guy there he told us that they usually make around 5000 rupies per month in tip, not so bad..........
On 8th January 2009 at 03:37pm, Salford said:
Hiya, just wanted to ask some of the frequent visitors to Goa.

In general, you must all make friends in Goa, and some you go back to see time and time again.

Anyway, do you ever take presents over for them? If so, what sort of things do you take for them?
Whenever I visit my friends in Panaji, I always take a few generic knick-knacks from Clintons, along with some football merch and some chocolates. That's usually my go-to
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.