Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Google Earth
18 Posts
Hello Trev,
Some time ago on one of my trips to Malta I got hold of a book all about the fortifications of Malta, from the Knights through to the British. Now that Google Earth has improved the view to cover all of Malta I can look up all of the forts, towers and fortifications all most like as if I was there.

Another good thing about it is you can look at were certain hotels are and what size pools they have.

Dave.
Hi Dave,

How right you are. It's really good to go on Google Earth and look at things like swimming pools - extra info that could prove valuable to many people. I was amazed at the detail of the Coastline Hotel that we could see, including their swimming pool.

If you spot anything particularly worth looking at please let us know,

Trev
Hello Trev, yes I was amazed that I could see you in the pool doing the doggy paddle at the Coastline :wink:

Dave
I am impressed by the quality but does anyone know if the magnification is more if you buy into the google product rather than what the the free version shows you?

I have found a new beach in Mellieha that is not advertised or widely known I think it is the one that ingliza goes to? 8) thanks to google :D
Hi Dave,

Woof! woof! :rofl

Actually have you noticed there never seems to be any people visible on even the highest magnification of Google Earth but you can see cars, planes, boats etc! Is it because of the resolution or the exposure times used?? Any sugestions?

I would also like to know if the resolution and magnification are better if you buy into the product, so if there's someone out there that's done that please let us know,

Trev
hello all, and Trev.
With not much going on at the moment some of you may like to have a look at this, if you have got Google World you can have a bit of fun looking at these forts built by the British in the mid 1800s about 50 years after they tuck over from the French.

Starting just in front of Mosta, if you can find a five sided fort this is Fort Mosta 1878, notice the round gun enplacements. From here if you move along the Victoria line to the sea just above Gharghur you will see another five sided fort this is Fort Madalena 1878. from here moveing clock wise along the coast on the right is a six sided fort this one is Fort Pembroke 1879, and just in front of this is the Pembroke Battery.
From here it then goes to Fort Sliema, now as most of you know as TGI Fidays moveing on a bit more you come to the Cambridge Battery witch along with Rinella Battery had one of the ony two 100 ton guns on the island. You may notice the swimming pool of a five star hotel in this battery, by the way the hotel was the officers mess before it was a hotel and I can not remember it's name.
Next to this is the Garden Battery and next to this is Fort Tigne the last fort built by the Knights.
Crossing over the harbour you then come to Fort St Elmo site of the famous battle in the 1565 Great Seige. Crossing the harbour again you then come to Fort Ricasoli the biggest fort on the island, notice on the front bastions the oil tanks of the oil depot. Moveing along the coast again you now come to the Rinella Battery home of the last 100 ton gun, this was the biggest and last of the breach loaded guns, if you take a good look at this fort notice that the entry is on the right hand side and the Cambridge Battery is on the left.
After going past the two large tanks of the Malta film studio you then get to Fort St Rocco. this brings a end to this part part 2 to follow soon.
( if its not locked)

Dave
Hello again, well here's part two. Starting from just passed the film studio's you then come to Fort st Leonardo and from here keep going right till you come to the Zongor Battery this is a three sided fort, this is the last fort on this side of the island. St Pauls Battery is on the head land near Slugs Bay it then moves on to the left of Marsaxlokk you will see the five sided Fort Ta Silg, from here you will see Malta's power station with Fort Delimara a four sided fort with the Wolseley battery at the side of this, though not much can be made out of it.
In the middle of Marsaxlokk Bay is the part knights of Malta part British fort of Fort St lucien the middle tower is from the Knghts time and the outer part is from the British. The last fort on this side of the island is Fort Bengemma 1888 just to the right of the old air field of Hal Far.
Well I hope this gives you all some thing to look for, you may even go and have a look at some of them when you are next in Malta I have not included the Knights towers on this list as some of them are to small to see, but there is twenty two if care to look them up (on Malta)

Dave
Hello all, something new on Google Earth they have now put some blue stars on the maps, if you click on these they show you a picture and if you click on the silver balls they put a page from a encyclopedia (that's a big word for me) its very good.

Dave
Cheers Dave,

Thanks for all this info. Still wondering whether to buy into google earth but still unsure!

Trev
Hi Trev

you asked a while ago whether the subscription service gives better resolution

http://earth.google.com/earth_plus.html

looks like not

still waiting for the higher resolution for most of Gozo :(
Thanks Mark,

Seems that the resolution isn't any better than the free version and I reckon I could do without the extra benefits of Google Earth Plus!!

Trev
Hello Trev, noticed when looking at Berlin Zoo you can see people and even the polar bears so must be better resolution here than on the Malta picuters.

Dave
I'd be amazed if you were able to see polar bears in Malta :D
Hello Mark, yes so would I but then again does Malta have a zoo? the only bears I have ever seen in Malta are the lesser spotted brown bears up in the mountains while I was mountain climbing a month or so ago.

Dave
no zoos, but there are hippos living in Chadwick Lakes - haven't checked to see if they are visible on Google Earth
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. Will check out Berlin zoo if I can find it?

Trev
type "Berlin Zoo" under search in Google Earth

found elephants (or are they rhinos ??) 52" 30' 27.55 N 13" 20'07.28 E

I also see that the accomodation on Filfla is blacked out
35" 47'14.78 N 14"24'37.44 E
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.